• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hamburg (1 Viewer)

Jacana

Will Jones
Spain
Hi, I posted this in the RFI section, but i've not had any responses, so I thought i'd repeat it here too.

In all likelihood I'll have a few hours to kill in Hamburg on my way to Sweden at the end of August, are there any parks within walking distance from the airport that are good for birds? In a quick flick through Collins there are 3 lifers that I'd been keen to get, which wont be possible in Sweden (Middle-spotted Woodpecker, Short-toed Treecreeper & Serin). Are any of these possible in Hamburg? Google maps shows a few parks in the area, but are they worth it?

Cheers

Hey Jacana,
I live in Hamburg, so i think I might be able to help you.
Serin is in my opinion almost impossible in the area around the airport. There's an area, where they are quite often, but it's on the other side of the Elbe and you'd need like 2 hours or so to get there...
Middle Spotted Woodpecker is quite often in Hamburg, but the chances you will find one in the parks around the airport are not that big. I don't bird often in these areas, but for example I only saw a single Middle Spot in 2 years birding on the Ohlsdorfer cementary, which isn't far away either.
You might try it though, I know some people who got lucky in the area around the Alster. Unfortunatley you don't have more time, because in the "Wohldorfer Wald (forrest)" or the "Jenischpark" you might have found one.
Last but not least the Short-toed Treecreeper. I think this one is an easy one. I do see a few almost every time I go birding, no matter where. They are much more common that the Eurasian Treecreeper especially in parks, but nevertheless you should know about the differences between both species: Voice, flanks, (length of the hind toe), wingtips, wingbar

MfG Maffong

Thanks very much! I thought that Serin and the Woodpecker would be long shots anyway, but it's good to know that the Treecreeper is gettable!

Thanks again!

I believe short-toed treecreeper is being observed in southernmost Sweden these days. But of course, that might be a long way from where you are going ...

Niels

I believe short-toed treecreeper is being observed in southernmost Sweden these days. But of course, that might be a long way from where you are going ...

Niels

I've heard rumours too, but as I'm in Uppsala I probably won't get much chance to go down south.

Cheers though!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back