• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is original ES 80 an "ED" scope? (1 Viewer)

B.Walsh

There is two available, "ES 80 GA ED" and "ES 80 GA SD". What i want to know is: Does the original ES 80 (simply called ES 80 GA) have ED glass or just normal glass?

The original ES80 scopes did have ED glass - it seems that Opticron did not make a big deal of this to start with, but have now that there are the two versions. If you can get hold of one they are excellent scopes.

Thanks to the two of you, you may have just decided on my first scope for me.
Also thanks for the speedy reply as it has helped a lot.

Ah - that would explain why I assumed that the ES100 wasn't ED, because it doesn't actually say so.

I think Opticron enjoy confusing us!

;)

I am a tad annoyed about this, I bought the ES80 standard about 3 years ago, it recently got the main end lens slightly chipped, a repair by Opticron would cost £197 (just to replace the end lens).
So I have tried ES80 ED of other people whilst out and it seemed very good,as did my original I hasten to add but the image is slightly deteriorated. Rather than pay the £197 I decided to upgrade and have purchased via warehouse Express to an ES80ED, costing me £395.

Not sure now whether I have done the right thing? Ultimately it is the birders choice but I think it is wrong that they mislead people. ED lens generally produce a better image and that is what I thought I was getting. Sounds like the extra water proof coat is all I will be getting though.

Yep the original ES80 does have ED glass(I have one)on a side note have you thought of getting a protective filter for your scope?

Steve.

wolfbirder said:
I am a tad annoyed about this, I bought the ES80 standard about 3 years ago, it recently got the main end lens slightly chipped, a repair by Opticron would cost £197 (just to replace the end lens).
So I have tried ES80 ED of other people whilst out and it seemed very good,as did my original I hasten to add but the image is slightly deteriorated. Rather than pay the £197 I decided to upgrade and have purchased via warehouse Express to an ES80ED, costing me £395.

Not sure now whether I have done the right thing? Ultimately it is the birders choice but I think it is wrong that they mislead people. ED lens generally produce a better image and that is what I thought I was getting. Sounds like the extra water proof coat is all I will be getting though.
Was that for body only @£395 ?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back