• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tanzania birding (1 Viewer)

dandsblair

David and Sarah
Supporter
I am probably going to Tanzania (December or January) for around 17 days. Need to go to Ngorongoro crator and Serengeti for a least a couple of days and have 3 nights chill out by a beach at the end. Any suggestion on places to go for birding and other wildlife?
I have been to Kenya a couple of times and Uganda so reasonable East African list of common birds so it is quality more than sheer numbers.
Also any suggestion for companies used would be appreciated and whether there is a decent beach resort on mainland. Pemba or Zanizbar where S can sunbathe while I bird.

Greatful for any advice. D

I am probably going to Tanzania (December or January) for around 17 days. Need to go to Ngorongoro crator and Serengeti for a least a couple of days and have 3 nights chill out by a beach at the end. Any suggestion on places to go for birding and other wildlife?
I have been to Kenya a couple of times and Uganda so reasonable East African list of common birds so it is quality more than sheer numbers.
Also any suggestion for companies used would be appreciated and whether there is a decent beach resort on mainland. Pemba or Zanizbar where S can sunbathe while I bird.

Greatful for any advice. D

Spent 2 weeks in Tanzania in early 2008 and was good for birds (though Uganda was better) and of course other african wildlife. Also worth visiting Lake Manyara and Tarangire too for a variety of habitats.

Spent a few days on Zanzibar (Ras Nungwi) great beach but the island was covered in litter, blue plastic bags everywhere. Interesting trip to stone town but otherwise wish we had just gone home after the safari.

We travelled with bales who outsourced the local arrangements to a company called Simba i think who were very good. Our driver was "tyson" (excellent).

The sort of birds you can expect to see are here => http://www.flickr.com/photos/54189378@N02/sets/72157628301605895/ probably similar to Kenya ?

General wildlife and scenery photos here => http://www.flickr.com/photos/54189378@N02/sets/72157629162265633/

Tony

Last edited:
Just about made up our mind

Thanks Tony

Agree Uganda will take some beating but as we have air mile flights to Dar Es Salaam and have only ever made it to the border of Tanzania on 3 previous E Africa trips we thought we'd try it. By all accounts it is less busy then Kenya.

We are just about settled to go with Tanzania Birding / Birding and Beyond. They seem to have good guides and include a visit to the Usumbara Mountains including Amani Nature Reserve as well as all the northen reserves. We have decided on Pemba (Manta Resort) for the beach as have been promised four Pemba endemics and good snorkelling on clean beaches nearby.

If anyone has info on Pemba or Usumbara or can point to trip reports that would be great.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back