• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular Focus Mechanisms (1 Viewer)

Atomic Chicken

Registered with the D.O.E.
Greetings!

I've been considering the numerous recent postings regarding binocular focus mechanisms. Some users report that their binoculars seem to develop stiffness or other problems over time... while other users report that after extended use the focus mechanism is as good as the day they were purchased. This got me thinking.

Could there be a link between constant use of a binocular and continued smooth focus? In otherwords, if you use your binoculars every day are they less likely to develop stiff or sticky spots in the focus mechanism than if you were to store them for a week or two at a time between uses regularly? Would constant use tend to keep the mechanism smooth and lubricated, and keep the grease from hardening or pooling in one spot?

I'm starting to wonder if there may be a genuine correlation, mainly because the demo binoculars at the optics shops I frequent seem to all have nice, smooth focus mechanisms, and they get used far more often than any of our binoculars are likely to be.

What do the rest of you think?

Best wishes,
Bawko

Focus mechanisms.

In my experience there are a number of reasons why a focus mechanism can be stiff or jerky or smooth or too free. There is no doubt that using the focus will keep it moving but grease does eventually need to be renewed. Sand, grass seeds, hairs and dust are bad for any focus mech and a knock can bend components and give an erratic action. I am sure that if a dealer found a display bino had less than perfect focus action, he would put that one away and find a better one. Some of the Chinese models seem to be worn out before they have even been used.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back