• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen Ray Prime HD or ??? (1 Viewer)

j-tucker

Hi,

I am new to these forums. I was intending to buy a pair of Nikon 8 x 32 SE porros. While researching I came across the new Zen Ray Prime HD 8 x 42. So now I am having second thoughts...
I want to spend around $600 so these are about the same price. I realize they are quite different instruments and I am not really a birder, they will be for general purpose use. But you guys all seem quite knowledgeable and opinionated, so I thought I would ask here for advice. One thing is my IPD is rather narrow and the large eyecups of the Primes may possibly be an issue. My main care about is flat undistorted FOV. Close focus to within 10-12 feet or so a plus.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.

J. Tucker

Hi,

I am new to these forums. I was intending to buy a pair of Nikon 8 x 32 SE porros. While researching I came across the new Zen Ray Prime HD 8 x 42. So now I am having second thoughts...
I want to spend around $600 so these are about the same price. I realize they are quite different instruments and I am not really a birder, they will be for general purpose use. But you guys all seem quite knowledgeable and opinionated, so I thought I would ask here for advice. One thing is my IPD is rather narrow and the large eyecups of the Primes may possibly be an issue. My main care about is flat undistorted FOV. Close focus to within 10-12 feet or so a plus.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.

J. Tucker

The final production Prime HD's are just now getting to the initial purchasers just now. My advice is to wait and see what comments shake out on the Prime HD.

I think there may have been some eye cup changes to the Prime over the beta samples, but the narrow IPD may be a problem, as the oculars are pretty big. I have both 8x and 10x Primes coming so I won't be able to compare them to the beta test specimen for a few days yet.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back