• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Isle of Mull 17th/25th September 2004 (1 Viewer)

Sandra (Taylor)

Before we travelled to Mull, we drove over the Pass of the Cattle (near Lochcrron over to Applecross). From the carpark we could see the radio mast track through the mist and when the rain stopped we braved the horrendous weather with rain and gales and were rewarded with a view of a ptarmigan disappearing over the crest of a hill. That was it! But quite definitely a sighting. Trudged back in good spirits, soaked through.

The next day we caught the ferry to Fishnish from Lochaline. Amost the first bird we saw on the island was a hen harrier (f) over the marshy beach followed a little later by a very brief sighting of a short-eared owl.

Our base was in the middle of the island - good to cover it all. I feel I want to list the places and birds we saw but think I shouldn't mention the exact places we saw the sea eagles. Am I right? If anyone wants more detail than I give here please feel free to send me a private message. Or can someone tell me if I can fill in the gaps in this report.

Lots of ravens and hoodies around. Saw golden eagle soaring over the hills quite near our house. Another day saw a juvenile golden eagle down a long glen near a loch. At a site where we had been told to watch for sea eagles, we saw nothing (nothing being 3 gannets diving for fish!) by the sea but as we were returning to the main road two birds circled high in the sky and went over the hill. As we drove further up the main road we kept a look out and picked them up again. Wonderful sight. Drove south and as we returned to the car after a short walk we picked up these two birds with the hillside behind them. Their white tails shone out like beacons.

The next day was my birthday so I was hoping for something special!! Not disappointed. Watched a sea eagle for 20 mins. It was sitting on a sand/rock bank that was partially submerged in a loch. Looked like a hunched bear. Pale head and shoulders. When it took off it looked dark with its tail showing well in the brightness.

Lots of buzzards seen during the week - many sitting on the tops of fir trees or on telegraph posts. A flock of twite was lovely to see. When they landed they perched on the tops of dead flowers and their weight caused the stems to lie flat so they could eat the seeds easily. Ravens also seemed to be everywhere.

I'm not very good at sea watching. Could do with some tuition in interpreting what I see, which is never very much I'm afraid. Lovely groups of mergansers, a few turnstones and curlew picking their way through the seaweed. Had hoped for otter but this wasn't to be. We've seen them in lochs in the Highlands and thought perhaps they would be easier to see on Mull.

The island seems to have the geology of the Highlands, all condensed into a small area. Loved the roads - even the main road is single track nearly all the way with passing places. Can't wait to return. And we'd stay in the same area again too.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back