• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just moved here! (1 Viewer)

jterry85

Hi everyone,

Just moved here from Germany and lookin forward to some exciting birding opportunities here. In Germany we only had an apartment so we're looking forward to building a bird friendly yard in our new townhome. Anyone got any good birding spots around Columbia? We've been out to Sesquicentennial State Park already and are hoping to get out to Congaree sometime soon. Look forward to talking more!

Joe

And here's a hello from Myrtle Beach :t:

Not familiar with your area but I would strongly advise you to join the CarolinaBirds listserv. There you will get daily info on the birds seen in SC and there you can ask for the popular areas for birding in you're specific area ;)

Thanks KC, will do!

I'm planning on getting up early in the morning and heading down to Congaree National Park for some birdwatching. Got my photography setup already and everything! Now I just have to follow through on the waking up early part...

Well, I managed to make it out to Congaree by about 6am and heard TONS of birds including several woodpeckers. However I had absolutely ZERO luck seeing any. I must admit my intentions were to look for waterfowl, especially wood ducks so I didn't really try to find most of the birds I heard. But after hiking around for several hours, scaring a bobcat (actually I don't know which one of us was most afraid), and making the mosquitos mad with my bug spray, it began to pour down rain so I hiked back and left the park. If the rain stops I might go back this afternoon and just set up shop somewhere and wait for the birds to reveal themselves.

I wouldn't count on the rain stopping today Joe. They're calling for blanket coverage.

If you find a spot where you are hearing lots of birds then just stay still for awhile. You will be amazed at how many birds will resume their actions unless it's my lucky baseball cap and green shirt ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back