• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

October theme challenge - Single Bird (1 Viewer)

IanF

The theme challenge for October is 'Single Bird'.

The rules must be adhered to in order to avoid disqualification - they will be rigidly enforced. The Moderators decision is final.

Rules -

1. Entry to have been taken in the last twelve months.
2. Date taken to be included in the entry - must at least include month and year.
3. Entry to be uploaded between 1st-21st midnight (BST).
4. Your entry must contain a single bird as the main subject - partial shots such as of head and neck are permitted.
5. The bird must be wild and can be of any species - in flight, on water, perched or on the ground or any combination.
6. Location taken to be included and must include county / state and country.
7. One entry per member.
8. Only minor image adjustment is permitted, such as cropping, sharpening, contrast, and levels. The photo must not be otherwise greatly manipulated ie. objects should not be added / removed in order to enhance the shot - no composite images.
9. Once uploaded a photo is classed as an entry and cannot be replaced by another shot. However, you have until the closing date / time of this competition to ensure that your photo meets criteria.
10. The entry must be your own work and not previously submitted in a competition on this site.
11. The bird's common name must be given - though please add the scientific too!
12. Entries to be uploaded directly by entrants to the
Monthly Photo Competitions 2004 gallery.

A voting booth will be posted after the 21st - all qualifying entries will be added.

Comments on entries are permitted.

Last edited:
Anyone with queries please bear in mind I'll be in the main offline until 15th October though I'll try and pop in to answer queries every few days.

IanF is it okay to use a cropped version of one I took in April and is in my Gallery, there are a couple of comments.

Saphire (Christine)

I'll let Ian confirm this, but from past comps, as long as it was never entered into a comp here and it was taken within this year, it should be okay.

Okay, I thought I had read this previously. This is Ian's response to another member that had already uploaded a photo previously and wanted to enter it into that month's comp.

"You should be able to upload another copy of the photo to the competition forum. If you have any difficulty with this, then send me a PM and I will move the photo for you, but I'd prefer it as a separate entry as the comments attached pre-date the competition dates."

If it is not possible for you to upload another copy, then let me know and we can move it for you or you can wait til Ian returns from his trip. ;)

Last edited:
OK, this is really dumb, but I have already forgotten how to upload my photo for the competition. This might be a good thing to include in the rules for those of us who suffer "senior moments"! Cassidys

Hi Saphire,

KC is spot on - you can use an existing photo in your Gallery but simply upload a new version for the competition so no comments are already attached :t:

Hi Marysan,

Sorry about the late reply. We are away on holiday at the moment and I only pop in evey few days.

Yes, a single bird with an object in it´s mouth will be just fine :t:

Thanks, Ian, sorry to take time from your holiday. Have a wonderful time and bring back lots of pictures.
IanF said:
Hi Marysan,

Sorry about the late reply. We are away on holiday at the moment and I only pop in evey few days.

Yes, a single bird with an object in it´s mouth will be just fine :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back