• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sesto Calende, Lago di Maggiore (1 Viewer)

Seashore

Australia
Back in Italy once again. Sesto Calende is at the southern end of Lago di Maggiore where the waters of the lago flow out into the Ticino River and eventually the Po. The lago is getting lower and lower with the summer. I've been busy working but the birds I have seen on my strolls up and down the river bank are; Black-headed Gull (without black heads); Mute Swan; Great Crested Grebe; Coot; Mallard; Barn Swallow; Italian Sparrow; less numerous are Yellow-legged Gull; Little Grebe; Kingfisher; Grey Heron; Collared Dove; Great Cormorant; Blackbird; Large groups of Swifts overhead and calling loudly on the days before the thunderstorms; Magpie; Dove. Carrion Crow.

The list will have to grow!

It's raining today in Sesto Calende and the leaves are starting to get their autumn colours. A pair Pied Wagtails made an appearance on the rocks beside the river; their usual spot. Barn Swallows are foraging low across the surface of the water. A pair of juvenile Common Moorhen scurrying into the reeds... why are Coot so confiding yet Moorhen are such scaredy-cats... Dusky Moorhens which we have in Australia are the same.

Back in London for a few days before returning home to Adelaide. The only additional species I saw around was a pair of Black Redstart at 1,500 metres at Mottarone which is a mountain top above Stresa. While there are lots of birds on the lake and the river the land birds were very quiet over the whole 4 week stay in Sesto Calende. Walking through the forests in the hills behind the town brought very little better. Off to Dungness on Monday having never been there before so looking forward to that.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back