• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EOS 20D Firmware update v1.0.4 posted (1 Viewer)

Scott67

Exhausted !
Not sure if any of you 20D users have experienced the "Lock-Up" problems that the Photo forums are chattering about, In so much that the camera completely locks up after changing Lenses, needing the battery to be taken out and re-inserted to clear the problem ???

If not good, but if you are then see if your problem matches those on the forums

DPreview or Fredmiranda are good starting points (sorry these are'nt direct links)

any way here is the link via Canon UK to the firmware update to cure the problem

http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos20d/eos20d_firmware-e.html

apologies if this has been posted within another thread.

Incidentally I am still going to purchase a 20D, I'll just stick by my January timetable and buy one already updated !!!

Cheers all
Scott

Touch wood, I havent had this problem.
But I will still update the firmware. Best to keep upto date with these things.
ta
Pete.

Yes,and lots of people have sold their 10d's they waited so long for ,in order to be able to purchase the 20d.There was an in depth discussion on e-photozine.A guy on there was far from happy.Perhaps Canon were too quick to put this new camera on the market.

Canon have now posted v1.0.5 which corrects the bug in v1.0.4 oh and an apology for the bug in the previous firmware!!!

Incredible that they can release it flawed !

I assume is can be accessed via a Canon site ( UK, Europe, Us etc)
but here is a link to PhotographyBLOG and the story together with a link to the firmware,

I suppose you takes yer chances with this one too.

http://www.photographyblog.com/comments.php?id=4027_0_1_0_C

Christine

I dont think its as drastic as Canon being too quick to put the camera on the market.
I read somewhere out of approx 250,000 20Ds in the world there was only about 20-30
locking up.
Thats 0.012%!
Im sure any manufacturer would take that percentage of problems in a new release.

The problem for Canon is due to the internet these 20-30 people (rightly) complain but on every forum going and it ends up looking like 1000's of people with problems, putting some prospective buyers off.
Luckily for us, Canon have the user Firmware upgrade policy so this has been able to be fixed without too much fuss.
In theory Digi cameras are like little computers and just think how buggy computers are!
Personally I think Canon have done an excellent job on the release of the 20D
and as an upgrader from a 10D to a 20D I am very happy that I did so. In only 2 weeks I have got shots that were near impossible to get with the 10D.

Pete.

Well, I have to say bird forums is such an amazingly useful place!

I found the 1.0.4 update had been released here - I did the update. Just before setting off for a long week-end with just the 20D, I check here and find the update my be flawed and that 1.0.5 is available.

At least the update procedure is pretty trivial, so I have finally updated the 10D to 2.0.1 from 1.0.1.

And yes I am delighted with the 20D, its generally easier to use as well as having much better AF and that instant start-up. Just need to find a good home for the 10D now.

Hugh

On another forum I notice that someone has had problems with a Sigma 400mm F5.6 lens after updating to the 1.0.5 firmware.

Oh dear! I have a (re-chipped) Sigma 400 and intend to buy a 20D - I hope the above is just an isolated incident rather than Canon getting back at Sigma again.

Anyone else noticed any Sigma problems after updating the firmware?

I had lock-up problems - software ver 1.0.5 seems to have sorted this out - now I am happy but a BG-E2 grip is unobtainable here as yet. I need one badly as I have "big paws"

Update:

The grip has finally arrived and what a difference it make when handholding lenses like the 100~400. The camera now feels properly balanced and improves the end result by doing this - highly recommended extra especially for those with biggish hands and for portrait shots. B :)

Last edited:
TwoBoy said:
I had lock-up problems - software ver 1.0.5 seems to have sorted this out - now I am happy"

Well I hadn't had any problems with 1.0.2 but had only taken a few shots.

Loaded 1.0.5. Took about 170 shots with Tamron 28-300XR no problems, then in about 30 shots with a Canon f/4 300 L IS USM + 1.4x Extender II it locked up a number of times and on one occasion it wouldn't work until I had switched it off and on about 35 times and reloaded the battery a couple of times. Have taken a further 180 shots mainly with the Canon lens and no further problems.

Hugh

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back