• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How sturdy is Manfrotto 444/440 (Bogen 3444D) (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
How sturdy is Manfrotto 444/440 (Bogen 3444D)?

I am contemplating to buy a Manfrotto carbon tripod 444 (Bogen 3444D). It intrigues me by having clamps instead of rings to fasten the sections of the legs. However, since this is a rather new technique for carbon tripods, I wonder how sturdy and durable this system is. I'd appreciate reports from people who have heavily used this or the similar 440 (Bogen 3444) or 441/443 (Bogen 3443) models for some time. Also, any other comments about this tripod would be welcome. Any comparison to a carbon Gitzo G1228?

Robert

Last edited:
Hi Robert,

I have used the 441 for almost a year now, and am very happy with it. I use it both with a scope and a (heavy) camera set-up, and have never found stability an issue.

Cheers,

Hanno

Carbon tripod 444

Dear Robert,

I use a 444 tripod since its existence and I am happy with it.

The only negative point is that all the smallest sections are used now
as I have brought the tripod in all my trips and it begins to
be tired !
I may consider another brand if it will be stronger.

The only durable system seems to be the usual aluminium tripods !
But rather heavy !! it is a choice for each birder !

Didier
;-)

Swissboy said:
I am contemplating to buy a Manfrotto carbon tripod 444 (Bogen 3444D). It intrigues me by having clamps instead of rings to fasten the sections of the legs. However, since this is a rather new technique for carbon tripods, I wonder how sturdy and durable this system is. I'd appreciate reports from people who have heavily used this or the similar 440 (Bogen 3444) or 441/443 (Bogen 3443) models for some time. Also, any other comments about this tripod would be welcome. Any comparison to a carbon Gitzo G1228?

Robert

Didier Godreau said:
The only negative point is that all the smallest sections are used now
as I have brought the tripod in all my trips and it begins to
be tired !
I may consider another brand if it will be stronger.Didier ;-)

Didier, what do you mean by "being used"? Is the wear such that the sections become weakened, and what kind of use have you subjected these to? My Velbon does not show any signs of such wear after just about a year of variable use. So could it be that Manfrotto uses a manufacturing process that results in legs that are less resistant to abrasion?
If I add it all up, it might mean that Gitzo is the way to go if one wants to save on weight. But that is also the most expensive brand. And they, too, have those rings to fasten the sections. I have two Manfrotto metal tripods which I like a lot except for the weight.

Robert

Robert,

I mean that there is an abrasion between smallest sections
and the "knob" system : there is a kind of carbon dust after each use.

Didier

Swissboy said:
Didier, what do you mean by "being used"? Is the wear such that the sections become weakened, and what kind of use have you subjected these to? My Velbon does not show any signs of such wear after just about a year of variable use.

Robert

Didier Godreau said:
Robert,

I mean that there is an abrasion between smallest sections
and the "knob" system : there is a kind of carbon dust after each use.

Didier

Thank you Didier, that sure does seem like a lousy quality! I wonder whether this is normal or whether your tripod is suffering from some flaws in manufacturing! Have you tried to contact Manfrotto, telling them about this? I think even if there is no warranty anymore, they should at least give you a reply and hopefully a suggestion for a reasonable solution.

Is there anyone else on BF who has some extended experience with these models? I know Pete has had his 443 for too short a time.

Robert

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back