• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Great Smew Hunt February 2003 (1 Viewer)

P

peter hayes

THE GREAT SMEW HUNT 2 FEBRUARY 2003

Weather: Cool, clear and sunny
Time 11.00
Personnel: Camberley Red and Peter Hayes

After heavy overnight rain, and warnings from various BF members not to bother as the conditions around the various Wraysbury lakes would be atrocious, I met Camberley Red (Paul) at Hatton Cross and off we set in brilliant conditions considering the forecast. On arrival, we saw a Heron making its ungainly way overhead, followed by two more sitting on the bank, apparently deep in thought. The ubiquitous Coot were everywhere, and a Kingfisher darted across the water in the distance. The light was very bright, illuminating a Great Crested Grebe. This is an incongruous stretch of water: a railway line on one side, a busy road on the other, and planes taking off from Heathrow incessantly. A Song Thrush darted in front of us as we walked along the muddy pathways and we heard various Robins singing their hearts out. At various vantage points we saw three Goosander, some Tufted Duck and several Cormorants, looking prehistoric as they flew. A female Goldeneye was a portent of things to come.

At the third lake - and by this time Paul was getting a little nervous as we hadn't had a sniff of a Smew - we saw another Cormorant, 2 Goldeneye, 6 Tufted Duck and a Great Crested Grebe. A Wren flitted ahead of us and two lovely Mute Swans preened themselves by the side of the water.
It was very warm when the sun came out, and I was forced to divest myself of two layers of clothing (I had four left!) as I had my coffee and Geo bar. Paul got out his scope again in tricky conditions (sun very difficult) and spotted quite a few Wigeon, Gadwall, Little Grebe and Great Crested Grebe. But still no Smew! Eight more Goldeneye, plus six flying Wigeon and 12 Gadwall and another 2 Cormorants. We weren't doing badly…

We then went to yet another stretch of water after driving through Wraysbury village, and walked through what amounted to swampland. On the way I suffered the indignity of a Labrador licking my EL's as I prepared for the yomp ahead! We saw Pochard, Great Crested Grebe, Tufted Duck, Cormorant, Ruddy Duck, Shoveler……..the list was endless. Finally, and with Paul worrying about his reputation by now, he spotted a female Smew! Up went the scope and we soon saw another. By the time I looked through there was a male, in all its black and white glory and another female. A total of four wasn't bad at all. Honour satisfied, we trudged back through muddy paths and bracken, fearlessly stepping over fallen trees and back to the car. Paul drove back through the village to Magna Carta Lane, legendary - apparently - for Rose-ringed Parakeets. Actually, all Paul's sites are 'legendary'!

Lunch: we shared a small repast prepared by my wife: malted granary baps with humus, grated carrot, finely sliced spring onions, yellow peppers and little gem lettuce. Followed by tea (Miles) - sorry it had to be a bag rather than leaves Paul, but needs must! (nuts and a banana livened things up still further).

After seeking advice from a helpful National Trust person leading a working party, we discovered that we could walk through the fields to where we thought we had seen two of the aforementioned Parakeets. After a short walk, there they were! Resting in a tree and looking lovely in the sunshine, with their rosy ring and reddish bills. Paul reckoned it was the best sight he'd ever got of them. We also saw a lovely Dunnock perched very nicely for maximum viewing benefit!

Anything else after this seemed superfluous, but as Paul said, "if you haven't seen Staines reservoir, you haven't lived". Anyway, there'd been a Black Throated Diver there for days, he said - last seen on January 31st. As we walked between the two vast expanses of water it was like entering a wind tunnel. We saw masses of Wigeon and Ruddy duck (300 according to one birder), several Cormorant, at least 50 Coot. Birds everywhere - but not a trace of the Black-throated Diver. Paul used displacement activity to disguise his fear of a bad write up on Bird Forum in case we drew a blank! We discussed the number of planes taking off and landing every few seconds at Heathrow (the reservoir adjoins the airfield). Shortly after we expressed profound relief that Steve wasn't flying any of them, Paul spotted our quarry. There it was. A Black-throated Diver in all its winter glory. On examination, quite different from a Grebe - the head is the key. A marvellous finale to a great day's birding. Thanks Paul, very much.

I am really glad you got your drake Smew, no I tell a lie, I am insanely jealous! I am going to post my day's birding now. Seems like a great day you two had today.

You've had the delights of Staines Res, have you ? Windiest place on the planet - mind you, for some reason all the reservoirs in that area are. Good site, though - over the years I had Lesser Yellowlegs, all three Phalaropes (Grey, Red-necked and Wilson's), Black-necked Grebe and Velvet Scoter there - did wonders for my Surrey list !

Tony

PS Congrats on the Smew - lovely little duck, aren't they.

Thank you all for those remarks. Any success we had is all down to Paul, who knows the area well and is extremely dogged!

Andrew - I take it you haven't seen a Drake Smew then? My wife tells me she sees them every day when she has a walk in St James Park!

T0ny - I can see why you used to go this area; lots of water and excellent places for birding opportunities. As for the Smew I agree, a lovely bird. Paul reckons it's Oddie's favourite duck.

TonyK - glad I brought back some memories. I must say, I'd love to see a Pomarine Skua or a Black-necked Grebe - I haven't seen either of them.

Ian - thanks very much for your kind words.

Peter, you trying to rub it in? Oddie mentioned it was one of his faves and said it was like broken china glued back together.

There is a place in Northumberland called Brinkburn Priory that I went along to about 6-7 years ago, really just to have a good nose around. The Priory sits on The River Coquet in a quite thickly wooded part of the river with quite steep sides so I kept my eyes peeled for anything in the way of wildlife. It must have been late February as snowdrops were well out in flower.

After having a good look around the intresting building I thought I would head back to the car up through the woods, but before I did, I went over to the river bank and there to my total surprise swimming back and forth was a single Smew. Unmistakable to me as I was familiar with its picture in one of my bird books.

The Coquet is not a very wide river especially at this point so I was surprised to see it in so confined an area. The fishing must have been good!

I watched it for a few minutes till it swam away. Now I did have my camera with me and I think I took a picture of it. I had better start looking. I I find it, I will post it.

Steve

That must have been quite a moment! It would be lovely to see the pic if you can find it.

It was Peter, but maybe I didn't appreciate it as much as I do now!
I will get my photo's out tomorrow on my day off and trawl through them hopefully with a result.

Steve, Hope you find the picture. It's strange as I can see a Smew in any book or even in my mind yet I feel compelled to see yours. Sorry for putting pressure on ya!

Well Peter and Andrew, I didn't find it though I have re-aqainted myself with pictures I had forgotten about.

I have some nice shots of Brinkburn Priory itself, but none of that Smew. I wish I hadn't mentioned it now. I really did see it, honest!

Anyone else out there happen to be walking along the Coquet river that day......(silence)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back