• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cerro Blanco? (1 Viewer)

ptickner

I am finalizing our schedule for a late January trip, and currently we have a full day scheduled for Cerro Blanco, commuting from Guayaquil. I've heard some say that Cerro Blanco can be pretty well covered in just a few hours.

Is all day too much to plan for Cerro Blanco? We will be going to Salinas the next day on our way to Puerto Lopez. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

The definitive answer to your question rather depends on which species you particularly want to see at Cerro Blanco and which other sites you are visiting during your trip? If, for instance, you have never visited the Tumbesian region before, then at least one full day would be well worthwhile.

One might ask, what would you usefully do with the rest of the day, if you don't spend all of it at Cerro Blanco?

In theory, you can't enter the reserve before 8am (I think), but you should be able to arrive earlier and "blag" your way in, especially if you can speak Spanish.

Thank you for your reply. I think we'll keep the whole day open, and definitely try to talk our way in early.

I've made several Ecuador trips, but they all have been further north. We will be going to Salinas as I mentioned, and then on to Puerto Lopez and Isla de la Plata, and then Machalilla, Ayampe, Manglares Churute, Yunguilla, and el Cajas, before ending up in Quito for the last few days.

I'm looking forward to some Tumbesian species for sure!

I know this is an older post but since your trip isn't until January you can still use the info. You can enter Cerro Blanco before 8 am by explaining to the guard that you are birding. You need to get there early for the Red-lored Amazon and Great-green Macaw. They head into the interior after that and won't be seen until late afternoon when they return. I would look for accommodations on the western side of Guayaquil so that you don't have to fight the traffic in the morning.

When going to Manglaras make sure you have a guide who can get you in and arrange for a boat to take you around. These have to be scheduled in advance.

Have a good trip

You need to get there early for the Red-lored Amazon and Great-green Macaw. They head into the interior after that and won't be seen until late afternoon when they return.

Thanks for the reply. Definitely still in the planning stages. Both the Amazon and the Macaw are on my wish list! Any particular places I should be looking?

Thanks again.

Paul

If you go up to the picnic area there will be a path that goes up around the old, huge trees in the area. The Great-green Macaw perched in these trees. The Red-lored Parrot flew from tree to tree and has a very distinctive call so you can't miss it. Both of these birds were gone by 9 am, heading into the deep forest where they feed on fruit and are extremely difficult to see.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back