• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wallcreepers on Corsica (1 Viewer)

tim.birdboy

The Wallcreeper range map on BirdGuides shows that they occur on Corsica and the range description on the Internet Bird Collection page also describes them as occurring on Corsica. On the other hand, the range map in Birds of Europe (by Mullarney et al) doesn't show them as occuring there. I've done some Google searching and haven't found any other information. Does anyone know what their current status on the island is? Thanks!

Hi Tim,
i don't know about actual status but what i do know is that i've never seen a trip report from corsica including this species, so if they do occur likely to be very rare and localised and possibly in quite inaccessible areas. I think snowfinch might be a similar situation.
cheers,
James

I can find some references for Corsica - "the only mediteranean island where they breed". I don't know Corsica but the following are mentioned
Massifs du Cinto et de l'Incudine
Monte d'Oro (à l'ouest de Vizzavona)

As to ease of access I can't help.

In winter they could be anywhere on the island I guess!

I've attached a map taken from the European bird atlas showing the results for Corsica. The dots represent 50kmx50km squares - the darker colour = confirmed/probable; lighter colour = possible (which probably means little with this species). I'd imagine that the species would be more easily found in winter (when fewer birders visit) since the species would be at lower elevations and likely to be joined by migrants from further north. Hope this helps,

Attachments

• Wallcreeper Corsica.png
    Wallcreeper Corsica.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 279
According to eBird there are very few records of the species in Corsica.
I know that not everyone uses eBird, but still it seems that the species is really scarce on the island.

It's definitely breeding on the island but numbers are very poorly known because, not only Corsica offers a lot of habitat for this species which makes it even more difficult to find but also because there are few resident birders on the island. Many places suitable for this species are not closely watched enough.

It's also a regular wintering bird (nothing is known about the origin of those wintering birds : all local breeders ? some coming from the Alps ?).
I found two this winter : one near Barcaggio at the northernmost tip of the island and one in an old quarry on the east coast.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back