• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Audubon Raptor 8X42 (1 Viewer)

Pileatus

"Experientia Docet”
United States
Greetings everyone,

I was buying peanuts for my birds when I saw a new binocular on display at my local bird supply store. Of course, I had to give it a go. The cost of this bin was $170 (USD).

The new bin is a porro prism design called the Audubon Raptor (not the EO Raptor) and the model I looked at was an 8X42. It also comes in a 10X42, but one of those was not available for examination. You can see the specs for yourself at:
http://www.audubonbinoculars.com/binoculars_raptor.html

The company, Audubon Binoculars, is located in Wisconsin and, as far as I know, is a subsidiary of Eagle Optics. If you send an EO product back for repair, you'll be sending it to Sheltered Wings (see bottom of web page). In any case, I failed to examine the bin for country of manufacturer, so I'll just say I don't know. If I get another look, I’ll let you know where it’s manufactured.

The specs are impressive. I wear eyeglasses and it has enough eye relief (17mm) for me, a nice wide FOV (430'), great porro handling, a very smooth focus mechanism, and it's supposed to be watertight and fog proof. I do not know what the minimum IPD is on this model, however, I could use it with no problem. I know it had to be at least 58mm; I think it was even lower because I had a nice, unobstructed view.

The thing that prompted me to write a review was the optical quality of this bin. Frankly, I was blown away that a bin under 200 bucks could deliver such a high quality view. I tested the centerfield resolution over and over again on close and distant targets and was truly impressed by the detail I saw. Conditions were dreary accompanied by periods of light rain...a good test day! Yes, as expected, the image deteriorated off center but the size of the sweet spot was larger than I expected. In fact, the sweet spot was large enough that I had to look for the deterioration off center. It's there, but not to the extent I would have expected.

I could not effectively check the bin for CA.

My first look at pincushion revealed much less than I've seen in expensive roofs and that amazed me. I did not carefully check edge sharpness. I verified the bin was properly collimated and I deliberately stared for a while to see if I could induce eye fatigue, which I couldn't.

I returned the bin to its display case and went about my shopping. Before I departed, however, I had to have another look just to be sure I wasn't kidding myself. The second time around I was just as pleased.

First impressions can often be misleading, however, I liked this bin the whole time I tested it. I had no trouble holding it steady for extended periods and every view was enjoyable. The bottom line: I saw bright, detailed, relaxing images and, if this was the only binocular I could afford, I’d be very happy.

John

I am wondering if they only supply the retailer with the 8x42's as I looked at this pair of bins myself in two different stores and was quite surprised by how it felt in my hands and even more surprised when I took a look through them. Surprisingly neither store had the 10x42s and that was pretty much why I didn't buy this one cause I wanted to see how the two differed.

KCFoggin said:
I am wondering if they only supply the retailer with the 8x42's as I looked at this pair of bins myself in two different stores and was quite surprised by how it felt in my hands and even more surprised when I took a look through them. Surprisingly neither store had the 10x42s and that was pretty much why I didn't buy this one cause I wanted to see how the two differed.

The store I was in had several 10X bins on the shelf. The reason? They told me 8X was more popular and that the 10X's were still there because they hadn't sold them! I assumed they didn't order the 10X Audubon Raptor based on prior 10X sales, though I think it might be a good seller based on its generous FOV and decent eye relief. Interestingly, there's no weight difference between the 8X and 10X models.

I'm curious what your visual reaction to this bin was.

John

Update.

I was so impressed with this bin I bought one to keep in my car. After discount, I paid $136.

My wife and I went birding in the afternoon and I used this bin side-by-side with my SE for comparison. The image of the SE is exceptional across the entire field; I found the Audubon Raptor exceptionally good in its sweet spot, which is approximately 40%. My wife thinks it's higher, but I don't. I used it continuously for 2 hours in an open area with thousands of waterfowl, including three acrobatic eagles. Surprisingly, this inexpensive bin “snapped” into sharp focus just like the big guns and I enjoyed using it a lot more than I thought I would.

I could not induce flare while looking towards the sun and I could not detect CA in several high contrast situations. Note: I don't see CA except in a really bad bin, so my CA analysis is probably not that meaningful. At night, looking at a house with floodlights, I did get some flare, but it was not that bad and the image was still excellent. Apparently, coatings are much better on low-price bins than they were in the past. DOF is very good and the bin’s ability to discern detail in a dark wooded environment is very good.

Close focus is about 12 feet and, because the sweet spot is so large relative to the 430' FOV, I have no trouble seeing extremely sharp images at the minimum distance, in spite of the effects of parallax. When one eye is centered in an ocular at close distances, the other eye is looking way off center in the other ocular and that can cause serious problems if the lens at that point is not sharp. My 6X32 EO Platinum has this problem at close range and I find I extremely annoying. I was shocked to see the Audubon Raptor had no problems at all in this regard. Close ups are dead sharp and I attribute this to a sharp, relatively wide sweet spot.

I don’t use the twist up eyecups, but they look and operate like many others. There is soft rubber on the face of the eyepieces and it seems to be a good solution. The diopter is simple and secure. The focus mechanism is surprisingly good, easy to use, and smooth enough to allow for those fine adjustments. The eyepiece rain cover is nice, but the objective caps are of little value. The strap fits in the palm of my hand and is of no value on the bin.

I’m still amazed they can pack so much optical enjoyment into a low price binocular. I have no idea how well it will hold up over time, but the build quality looks pretty good. If you like porro prism bins and don’t want to spend a fortune, I suggest you take a look at this model.

John

Hey John,
Could you give me an update of these bins? Are you still enjoying them? Have they held up well? Do you have any complaints or have you had any problems? I think I would like to have a pair in my car and these might fit the bill. I like the wide field of view and prefer porros to roofs. The price seems too good to be true --currently $119 at EO!
Jim

Last edited:
Hey John,
Could you give me an update of these bins? Are you still enjoying them? Have they held up well? Do you have any complaints or have you had any problems? I think I would like to have a pair in my car and these might fit the bill. I like the wide field of view and prefer porros to roofs. The price seems too good to be true --currently $119 at EO!
Jim
Jim,

I donated them to a school, so I no longer have them. Among the inexpensive porros, a good pair would be money well spent.

When I first posted on this bin in 2004 CA was not a problem for me. You will see some CA in the Audubon Raptor but, for casual use, I don't think it would be a problem.

Call EO and get their opinion.

John

I would like to see a comparative review of the Audubon Raptors along with the Nikon Action Supremes, Bushnell Legends, Swift Audubons, Swift Ultras, Leupold Cascades and others. I have tried out several roof prism binoculars and I keep coming back to my old Swift Audubon 804s for ease of view, brightness and resolution. It would be nice to know how the modern porros stack up especially now when many have water proofing.
Dennis

John,
Back to the Audubon Raptors: you mentioned smooth focusing; how many turns from near to far focusing? Are you familiar with the Swift Audubon 820 binocular? If so, how do the Raptors compare?
Dennis

John,
Back to the Audubon Raptors: you mentioned smooth focusing; how many turns from near to far focusing? Are you familiar with the Swift Audubon 820 binocular? If so, how do the Raptors compare?
Dennis
The Audubon Raptor I had for a short time was a decent, low-priced porro and nothing more. I can't remember specifics at this point in time. The Swift 820 has much better optics.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back