• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ecuador vs. Peru? (1 Viewer)

kilianwasmer

We want to visit South America for the first time. We are not sure, yet, what would be the better choice: Peru or Ecuador.

Background:
  • We want to get an impression of an Andean transect.
  • We want to travel independently, that is without a driver/guide if not necessary.
  • We would hire a car or use public transport (if safe when travelling with camera equipment etc.)
  • "Easy" travelling (hassle free, friendly people) would be fine.
  • Accomodation should be okay but not too expensive.
  • We don't speak Spanish, yet, but we will take a crash course before the trip.

So our questions are:

• Which destination would you recommend for a first trip to South America and which places should we visit?
  • What's the best time to go there?
  • Do you have to book anything in advance (accomodation, certain trips)?
  • In which places would you highly recommend taking a guide?

PS: Equal thread in the Peru forum.

Last edited:
I have never been to Peru, but I have done two trips to Ecuador. I think it's the best choice for a first-timer (given that you want to visit South vs. Central America). Fairly good infrastructure, a good selection of car rental companies, lots of excellent lodges to stay in. (The same may be true about Peru nowadays, too - I just wouldn't know by direct experience.)

On our first trip (2001), we stuck with hired drivers, because I had no knowledge of the country (or Spanish). On the second trip (2007), we rented a high-clearance vehicle, and drove ourselves over the Papallacta pass. I highly recommend that trip - plenty of easy access to different altitudes. The birds at Thermas de Papallacta are wunderbar!

Peter C.

P.S. I should also mention that I took a lot of Spanish classes between the two trips - but even after that, my Spanish is still quite poor. Nonetheless, I found I could get by with just a few words.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back