• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Tripod (1 Viewer)

Beth66

I am a first time scope buyer. I have already decided on the Swarovski ATS65 HD. I am having a rough time deciding on a tripod. I have an older tripod already. It is a Velbon Victory 451. Would this be sufficient? Would I need to get a new head, anything else? I want a tripod that will be sturdy but not too heavy. Should I go with the Swarovski tripods? I would greatly appreciate any info.
Thanks

Hi Beth, welcome to birdforum from all the staff here, we hope you enjoy the site. See how you get on with the old Velbon but in the long run I'd expect that you would be better off purchasing a new Bogen tripod and fluid head (which is what Swarovski tripods are anyway, just cost a bit more with the Swarovski name on).
regards,
Andy

Andy Bright said:
Hi Beth, welcome to birdforum from all the staff here, we hope you enjoy the site. See how you get on with the old Velbon but in the long run I'd expect that you would be better off purchasing a new Bogen tripod and fluid head (which is what Swarovski tripods are anyway, just cost a bit more with the Swarovski name on).
regards,
Andy

Thanks for replying, Andy. Would you be able to recommend a bogen tripod and head. I have no idea which one to go with. Looking for one that would be sturdy and not too heavy. Thanks

Beth66 said:
I am a first time scope buyer. I have already decided on the Swarovski ATS65 HD. I am having a rough time deciding on a tripod. I have an older tripod already. It is a Velbon Victory 451. Would this be sufficient? Would I need to get a new head, anything else? I want a tripod that will be sturdy but not too heavy. Should I go with the Swarovski tripods? I would greatly appreciate any info.
Thanks

Hi Beth,

I have the same scope, and used it on a Bogen 3046 with a 3126 fluid head for a while. That combination is a bit heavy for my taste when I am wandering about, and I got the shorter Swarovski tripod for my birthday. It is lighter, and I really like the fact that the base of the ATS65 fits right into the tripod head quickly and easily - just push it down and it snaps right in. A quick flick of a lever and you can lift it out. The slight down side is that the somewhat smaller fluid head is not quite a smooth as the larger one on the Bogen.

Clear skies, Alan

Beth,

There's a ton of Chicagoland birders. If you know any I'm sure you could get a look at a few tripods.

I don't know anything about the Velbon. Bogen/Manfrotto tripods are assumed to provide the best bang for the buck. The 3011 and 3021 models will provide plenty of support. For your 65mm scope the lighter 3001 may work also. There several versions of these tripods available (silver, black, green and tricked-up). I would get a non-tricked-up basic black one.

The Bogen 3130 head is the most widely used. Your Swaro scope will fit onto it without having to attach a plate. This is very nice. They recently came out with 700RC2 and 701 RC2 heads which are a bit lighter, but you apparently will need to use the plate.

The Bogen pod/head combo should run $180 or less.

Carbon fiber tripods are nicer yet, but will run $400 or more for the pod alone.

Last edited:
It's always tricky to suggest manfrotto/bogen items because in N. American markets they are named Bogen (long story, but may not be for much longer) with different model numbers to the rest of the World.
Avoid Swarovski's new head that they, foolishly, designed themselves.

I recently had to buy a new tripod on short notice (I was on a trip and my old Slik finally gave up the ghost). The only choices available in the closest birding store were a Manfrotto or a Swarovski. As far as I could see the two tripods were identical except for the name and I did find Manfrotto stamped onto the head of the Swarovski tripod. I bought it because it was a bout $40 cheaper than the Manfrotto and because it had a slightly better head.

Andy Bright said:
It's always tricky to suggest manfrotto/bogen items because in N. American markets they are named Bogen (long story, but may not be for much longer) with different model numbers to the rest of the World.
Avoid Swarovski's new head that they, foolishly, designed themselves.

I totally agree. And that Swaro head is WAY overpriced. They should be ashamed of that piece of work.

Another factor to consider is that Swarovski, in their re-branded older video head made by Manfrotto and externally identical to the Manfrotto 128 fluid head, has specked it WITHOUT the silicon grease. This they have done because they consider it a problem that silicon stiffens slightly at cold temperatures. However, without the silicon lubricant, the action is much less smooth. Otherwise, the Swarovski tripod is just as good as the corresponding Manfrottos. If you can, try them out side by side and you'll see what I mean.

Kimmo

A friend uses her ATS-65HD on a Bogen/Manfrotto 3130 head and Gitzo G1128 Mountaineer MK II carbon fiber tripod. The tripod is an amazing combination of light weight (2.6 lbs.) and rigidity. It isn't just the carbon fiber, all the joints and connections are extremely tight and rigid. I don't think anything from Manfrotto (even though they're the same company) comes close. Unfortunately the Gitzo costs over $400, for just the tripod.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back