• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Now I have a Siskin! (1 Viewer)

Camberley red

Following the huge success of the Niger seed feeder and the Goldfinches (my garden peak count was over 16) not bad for a Garden that had not counted that many in 10 years. Following the recent cold snap and snow, I now have a regular Siskin visiting the Niger seed. The Goldfinches are now eating at the other seed feeders and on the ground with the Chaffinches (they only ground feed in my garden.

Due to the huge amount of wastage of Niger seed under the feeder this area now attracts a Pied Wagtail, Robin, Dunnock, Song Thrush, Blackbird, Winter Wren and House Sparrows, so at the moment the garden is overflowing with feathered friends. I don't think they all eat the stuff but the crowd attacts in other species to have a look around I think. Still no Greenfinches, which remains a complete mystery to me.

Great garden birding

Paul

I love Siskins too, having eight in my garden. Glad you have managed to get one, is it a black headed male or streaky flanked female? I too notice a lack of Greenfinches.

Andrew,

Streaky female (is regular at the moment) but still a little cracker, very dark plumage however, maybe a northern sub-species perhaps. We did get a male when the snow was on the ground but there is quiet a bit a good finch habitat near by, but not too many seed feeders in back gardens (or yards as our American cousins say).

Paul

I think I have weird garden,

I current can have up to 15-20 Siskins, second to them the most regular visiters are the Bullfinches (up to 7) and Hs Sparrows (usually 3-4 but occasional up to 20), I get the occasional Goldfinch but never on the feeders, and hardly any starlings! I have never seen more than 3 at a time. Green and Chaffinch are unusual to scarce. Coal, Blue and Great tit all regular in small numbers, the odd Dunnock and thrushes.

!!

Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back