• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is Somerset birding extinct? (1 Viewer)

earleybird

The last post in the Somerset section appears to be last October !? and only 3x posts in total last year.

mmmm flogging a dead horse it seems !

Last edited:
Thanks for the link but whats the point of having the County sections on Bird Forum then ?

If we all post on other forums then BirdForum might as well close these County boards surely.

saying that the Cornwall boards and others seem quite healthy ;) ?

I think this is just one option Earleybird. Birdforum was set up with a folder for each County. Some Counties have embraced Birdforum, others already had their own County forum/website in place.

Postcode lottery!

On the SOS site you are not allowed to post unless you use your name. The site is very actively moderated and any post deemed unacceptable is very quickly removed. The thread on Bird Forum is usefull from time to time. Roger

The last post in the Somerset section appears to be last October !? and only 3x posts in total last year.

mmmm flogging a dead horse it seems !

also ...You can take a horse to water..... etc.

Despite the fact that there is the Crane project on the Somerset Levels and lots of Hawfinches in my village since early January clearly no one is interested in posting in this forum - I and several others gave up 'flogging' a long time ago |=(|

Jamie

also ...You can take a horse to water..... etc.

Jamie

all this talk of horses is reminding me of last nights dinner lol... ? ;)

I guess that you must live in N Sub Jamie;)

Its a pity about this board being unsubscribed really. K and I are keen toggers and enthusiastic novice birders and we always are made to feel welcome on BirdForum . From the tone of the previous post I would not expect to be made to feel welcome posting on the other site mentioned.

Bit like lambs to the slaughter;)

all this talk of horses is reminding me of last nights dinner lol... ? ;)

From the tone of the previous post I would not expect to be made to feel welcome posting on the other site mentioned.

Bit like lambs to the slaughter;)

If you are referring to my post you would be made welcome if you post under your own name (do you have a problem with that), do not post sightings of rare breeding birds and don't slag other posters off or go off topic. Quite reasonable I would have thought. Give it a try. Roger

thank you Roger but I think I would prefer to stick to a forum where I find that generally the members are not dictatorial and unwelcoming to be perfectly frank.;) . I surf the net for pleasure

Last edited:
thank you Roger but I think I would prefer to stick to a forum where I find that generally the members are not dictatorial and unwelcoming to be perfectly frank.;) . I surf the net for pleasure

Sorry but your reply made me laugh. I have read many very nasty posts on Bird Forums but never on the SOS Message Board. Post the wrong message on Bird Forums and you will get a bucket load of bile from posters hiding behind usernames. Those same posters would probably not say boo to a goose if you met them in the field. Regards Roger

To get back on subject,perhaps part of the problem is what exactly constitutes Somerset now.
North Somerset and Bath and North East Somerset are whats left of the old county of Avon which used to be called Somerset.
Although I live in North Somerset I still think of it as Somerset,whilst younger people think of it as Avon still.

I think there probably is - more people can share the pleasure

A very new Somerset Birder :t:

Welcome Marcobf :t:

I agree but I must admit my interest in birding isn't just limited to 'rare bird sightings' and rushing all over the place just to get a picture. ;)

I think there is a good case for a general discussion thread here on this forum especially for those, like myself, that are not necessarily experienced birders.

What area of Somerset do you hail from ?

I'm from Wells :)

Looking at 'Your Local Patch' in the forum structure it doesn't appear to be just about rare sightings

exactly ! ;)

I think that it was the Devon Birder who in an earlier post in this thread seemed to think that it was 'rare sightings' that I was expecting this board to be used for hence his suggestion to use the other site.

Rare sightings are of interest to most of us but is just one very small aspect of birding . I expect general 'bird chat' is what the majority on Birdforum are interested in if threads like 'garden birds' is anything to go by.:t:

If you take a look at the SOS message board I think you will find that very few of the birds reported are "Rarities". I agree if you want a "discussion" then this thread is the one for you. Regards Roger

If you take a look at the SOS message board I think you will find that very few of the birds reported are "Rarities". I agree if you want a "discussion" then this thread is the one for you. Regards Roger

Roger .. I'm sure that it is not your intention but you come across as rather pompous ;)
I find that an arrogant or patronising attitude is one of the most off-putting reasons for staying away from this or any other site for novices and prospective new members to our wonderful pastime:C

Roger .. I'm sure that it is not your intention but you come across as rather pompous ;)
I find that an arrogant or patronising attitude is one of the most off-putting reasons for staying away from this or any other site for novices and prospective new members to our wonderful pastime:C

That's exactly what I meant in my earlier post. You feel that hiding behind a username you can insult me. That would not be allowed on the SOS message board. Regards Roger

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back