• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Golden eagle? (1 Viewer)

lazza

I was in Norway this week for work, and finished my meetings a little earlier than expected. So I headed to Gardermoen airport, and carried on going north a little, coming off the motorway at Råholt and heading to the south end of Hurdalsjøen lake.

As it was cold and snowy, and the lake was mostly (but not completely) frozen, there was not much bird life around, with just a few bullfinch and tits in the trees to show for half an hour out in the cold! Then, just as I was leaving - and back in the car - a large raptor flew in from the north.

Although it was visible for a minute or so, it was quite distant, so I am not absolutely sure of the identification (and I am still learning!). Initially, as it came into view, I thought it was a heron because of its size, but viewing through my mini-binoculars, it was clearly a raptor. It was almost entirely dark brown, with some hints of paler brown and possibly two faint white patches on the under-wing. The most noticeable feature, however, were very distinctly spread out "fingers", which curled up slightly when it soared.

So, does this sound right for a golden eagle? Is it possible (or likely) in this region and area?

Thanks!

And... I wish I knew of your blog before I came to Norway this week! I went looking for a reported hawk owl (but didn't find it...although I did not stay long as the location seemed to be on a private drive!) and also had hoped to see hawfinch that had been reported near Halden (as I was also down there for a meeting) and also didn't manage those either.

But I managed to see plenty of finches: bullfinch, goldfinch, greenfinch at Fetsund (plus a nuthatch which showed strikingly different coloration to UK nuthatch); redpoll in Halden; siskin in Lysaker. Also, goldeneye and goosander in Halden.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back