• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Attention Bird Database Editors (1 Viewer)

Michael W

Mountain Chickadee
This issue has probably been addressed before, but I've been noticing how many well-known and little-known birds in the database don't have any information other than the photographer. It would be really nice if the database editors put useful information in the 'Description' box, like identification tips, range, habitat, voice, etc.

For instance, On a quick run-through of some US sparrows, I found these that didn't have much any information.

Field Sparrow
Savanna Sparrow
Vesper Sparrow
Chipping Sparrow
Le Conte's Sparrow
Black-throated Sparrow
Henslow's Sparrow
American Tree Sparrow

Good information can be found on various sites on the internet, or from books. And you needn't enter much.

A good way to make 'Habitat', 'Range', or whatever stand out in bold is to put tags before and after the word you want to be bold. I'll use '()' instead of '<>' so the browser will let it show up on this page.

For instance:
(p)
(b)Range : (/b)Throughout North America
(p)
(b)Habitat : (/b)Brushy fields
etc...

The (p) is for new paragraph, and the (b) is for bold. Remember to use the '<>' symbols instead of the '()' symbols. I'm not an expert on computer languages, but this part is pretty straightforward.

If you are a database editor and don't quite get what I mean, click here and then click 'edit'. Look at the description box.

I'm not saying that nobody has been putting information in the database (many have), but I'm just saying that a lot more could be done. At least tell where the bird was photographed if you can't find information. This will give some idea of the range.

Going back and adding information where it is not is good thing to do if you're bored...

Thanks for listening... :bounce:
Michael

Hi Michael, your thoughts are much appreciated. Up until very recently our time had been taken up by the process of getting images from the main bf galleries over to the database. Now we have got on top of that situation we can concentrate on filling in the data.

Yours seems an ideal layout for the data, and I think this format should be regarded as the definitive style for all database editors to use.

If anyone else wishes to become a database editor, please let me know and i can upgrade your status.
regards,
Andy

Michael,
One more thing is that you can yourself add comments to a bird if you have some information. Often, the photographer that took the picture will know more about the bird than a database editor!

my two cents
Niels

Hiya. Relative newbie here.

I'd love to help out providing info on Aussie birds (mainly those in Western Australia). Can't provide many photos because I don't have the equipment to take good ones but I can provide sites for finding the birds and info like that.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back