• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to buy binoculars (1 Viewer)

leovb

Buying binoculars is a tough exercise as most of you know. Apart form what are the best (does anyone have advise,Swarowski or Zeis or???) I've heard that prices can vary a lot. I live in the Netherlands (probably no surprise regarding my question) but will spend some months abroad (Australasia)next year (which is why I want a new pair of bins). I've heard that Singapore is a good place to buy optics, camera's e.g. But does anyone have experiencce with that? And does anyone have experience with buying bins at Tax-free shops at airports?
In short where or in which country can I have the best value for my money, looking for a pair of binoculars?

Hi leovb

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question. Nor do I know your financial situation. But I'd like to express a word of caution, if I may.

Here in Ottawa there is, to my knowledge, only one store specialized in optical equipment. Their prices aren't great but I think they'll match other stores. But the great thing is that they'll allow you to try out the equipment for two weeks. Provided it's still in "as-new" condition, you can return it for full refund if it turns out you didn't like it.

A year or so ago I bought a pair of Bushnell Legends from them. Everything I'd heard was great about these bins. And yet using them I developed fairly severe thumb strain - I think it's tendinitis in the base of my thumbs. I'd always had porro prisms before and it appears that I cannot use roof prism binoculars without discomfort. Fortunately I was able to return the bins.

My point, of course, is that it might be better to pay a little more from a reputable place that will allow returns, rather than risk disappointment. Sometimes it's hard to know in advance what can go wrong - I certainly never expected my problem.

I got the old Leica 20 - 60 zoom lens in Hong Kong for such a good price (about 60% of the UK price) that I got all my money back a few years later when I part-exchanged it for the new 20-60 zoom lens locally. Hong Kong might be worth checking out for binoculars too - if you are likely to be in that area I could try to find out the name of the shop.

However, as Paul says, it could be a problem if you ever need to return it.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back