• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So which Tripod (1 Viewer)

kim

Hi there
I am about to buy a new tripod and head for digi scoping and have read the comments on the Manfrotto - am considering the 443 legs and 700 RC2. I am using the Swaro AT60HD. Am a little put off by all the comments about screws coming off!!
I need lightweight equipment without complications - arthritis in hands - for digiscoping.
Does anyone know what the Delta is like? I doesn't seem to be reviewed anywhere - but it is on sale at the Martin Mere site -- and I expect to go there in the next few weeks. Any comments would be appreciated.
Many thanks

Have you tried putting this make into a search engine?

I use a slik D3 but this will probably be too heavy for your liking.

Some optical equipment shops will let you try your scope on their selection this might help you make up your mind.

I have just bought the new Manfrotto Neotic with a 700rc2? head,superb peice of kit, but it certainly is not light, but the ease of use compensates for this.

POP

Yes - I will try and visit dealer to try out with my equipment - and also try web sites. Pop - have you had any problems with screws coming loose or scope falling off? If you look at an earlier thread on Manfrotto - one or two people mention these problems.
Thanks for your replies.

kim said:
Yes - I will try and visit dealer to try out with my equipment - and also try web sites. Pop - have you had any problems with screws coming loose or scope falling off? If you look at an earlier thread on Manfrotto - one or two people mention these problems.
Thanks for your replies.
Did you receive my e-mail Kim? As I said in that, you won't go wrong with a Manfrotto, it's the most popular make with birders for a good reason... and bolts are not falling off with any regularity, i can assure you.

Velbon do make a very light carbon range (twist leg locks, not clips.. which is fine by me)... unfortunately it's not always a simple matter when it comes to attaching a Manfrotto head, Velbon don't make any really good heads.

Cheers,
Andy

Hi Andy - Yes I did thank you - it was just the bit about screws falling off that concerned me a little. At that price I cannot afford to make any mistakes!!! I will go and try one -= am just wondering where - be it Conway or locally!! I was going to look at the Bird Fair but Martin Mere only do Delta and I have been on the web site as
colinj suggested and it was not favourable in their comments (Thanks colinj)
So - I think it will possibly be the 443 and 700RC2 - is that the best head - very soon.
Cheers

The Manfrotto tripods are excellent, it's the quick release plates on their heads you have to be careful of. I don't like their quick release mechanism at all.

Modification=not for the feint hearted, but it works

I was very happy using my ATS65HD with the manfrotto 141 RC and the 460mg (my outdoor favourite) as the scope fitted straight into both the heads, without the base plate and they have safety catches. The scope never moved or came loose after a full day of field use or being transported in the car.

Since I changed to the 701RC2 that is a far easier head to use for digiscoping with less bounce (or none if counterbalanced), I have found the scope can work loose and move +/- 10 degrees on the front alignment pin, mine did twice. The first time I thought it might be my fault but not the second. To overcome this and the smaller irritation of not having a safety catch I spent 1/2 an hour in the workshop to resolve both problems. You will see I gently took an angle grinder to the face of the manfrotto base plate to remove sufficient metal to allow the securing lever on the tripod head to fully retract, not that I ever had a problem but I thought it could get caught during a days birding and release the scope. For the other problem I drilled and tapped the scope base and now use a secondary grub screw for security. Who knows maybe one day all swaros will be made this way?

As for the tripod I will be sticking with my manfrotto 190pro for a while, I have been to my friendly camera store and compared the carbon fibre 440 and 441, but they seem quite bulky by comparison to the 190. I think the best advice is see and try before you buy as a good tripod will last for years and as as previous posts have shown you can always replace any bits that fall off!! Another benefit of manfrotto is that you can at least upgrade the heads as designs change.

Attachments

• web plate 003.jpg
    web plate 003.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 254
Hi Kim
I would certainly recommend the 443 and 701rc2 head, i have used these with the swaro ats80, digital camera base and 4500 attached with no problems at all, saying that i am now considering carrying out the mod shown above just for extra peice of mind.

I have been using the 443 for over a year now and I like it very much. I haven't had any problems with bits dropping off.

I don't like the Delta at all as it's a very wobbly tripod, not much use at all for scope use.

I use the Manfrotto 128RC head with mine. With Swaro scopes you don't need to use a plate at all as the scope foot fits into the top of the head with a very stable fit. It's a cinch to carry the scope mounted on the tripod with a strap fastened to the tripod. Unfortunately the 700 series have the plate mounted longitudingly so a plate needs to be used and I wouldn't fancy relying on just the plate screw.

Hi
Thanks for the advice everyone - clearly it will be the Manfrotto and I am going to have a look next weekend! Sadly I don't have a workshop - and could not make those little adjustments that you have Jim - (I'm a good cook though!)
I do appreciate all the advice from you all -the method I use now with the Velbon head uses a screw - but it is possible to screw it on very tightly. Anyway I will check this when I try it and hope whoever demonstrates knows what he is doing!! I wish I had thought of it at the Rutland Bird Fair - I don't think the North West one has these exhibitors at the fair.

simon said:
Hi Kim
I would certainly recommend the 443 and 701rc2 head, i have used these with the swaro ats80, digital camera base and 4500 attached with no problems at all, saying that i am now considering carrying out the mod shown above just for extra peice of mind.

I have decided on the 443 and 701RC2 head to go with my CP995 and Pentax PF-80EDA. Will I also need a sliding plate to balance the weight?
Bob

colinj said:
I use a slik D3 but this will probably be too heavy for your liking.

Colin (or anyone else who has a Slik D3!),

Do you like your Slik? They look good value, but I can't get my hands on one round here easily to try. I scrimped when I got my Nikon ED78, but my Opticron tripod isn't up to it and Iwill have to upgrade - thinking about the Slik, or else Manf. 190 or 055.

Any thoughts?

Paul

manfrotto

Hi Kim, I Have A Manfrotto Tripod And Agree With One Of Your Replys That It Has A Quick Re-lease Plate.but I Certainly Would Advise You To Go Along To A Photographic Shop And Try Before You Buy. Ok

Kim,

I think you'll find that the "delta" tripods sold by infocus are just rebadged velbon ones and they now come with clip locks rather than twist ones (though you can get ones with either sort of leg locks from warehouse express).

James

Hi there again
I went to Conwy RSPB reserve today to try the Manfrotto and 701RC2 head and was really impressed. Firstly with the the help from the warden at Conway, who spent a long time showing me the equipment - plus all the other bits and pieces Manfrotto do - and things in the pipeline. I took along a camera and there was no dipping at all. I had a good look at the 3 screws - Alan Davis , site manager, did comment that it would be simple task for Swaro and other manufacturers to put an extra hole on the base fitting of the scopes for security - but they don't! Perhaps in the future.
My daughters have bought this piece of equipment for me - but I now have to wait until Christmas to get my hands on it again.
Thanks everyone for the advice - very much appreciated. As a side comment - I would recommend Conway RSPB and the site manager there for future purchasses - and of course the profits do go to a charity.

Paul_Gower said:
Colin (or anyone else who has a Slik D3!),

Do you like your Slik? They look good value, but I can't get my hands on one round here easily to try. I scrimped when I got my Nikon ED78, but my Opticron tripod isn't up to it and Iwill have to upgrade - thinking about the Slik, or else Manf. 190 or 055. Paul

I've got a Slik D3, but a visit to the Sahara more or less finished it off - the sand got in the leg-locking mechanism and it has never worked properly again despite all my efforts at cleaning it.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back