• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to start? (1 Viewer)

turnman2004

Hi

I'm new to digiscoping. I dont' have a scope yet. I have a Nikon coolpix 990 I would like to spend around $1500 canadian on a scope.

I'm looking for websites that have reviews and comparisions. I have been looking at a Bushnell Elite 20-60 x 80 mm for $950. Seems to be the only type I can test myself.

If anyone had any info on scope dealers in the Ottawa Canada area I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Hello turnman and a warm welcome to BirdForum from those of us on staff here.

I might be a bit prejudiced, but if you check the archives in our digiscoping forum, I don't think you can find better information of what each scope is capable of by the users themselves. Good luck.

Hi Turnman
Being from Ottawa myself I can tell you the only place you can really see a scope is Focus Scientific, at Clyde and Merivale. Even then, the models in stock are very few.. the Elite, maybe a couple of Nikon Spotters. No one has scopes in stock to try out, believe me, I tried!
I believe there is only one member here who owns the Elite scope so there isnt a lot of info on how well it works. In my own research, and being in a budget limit that didnt allow me to look at the Swarovskis, Leicas or Zeiss, I was very impressed with what I read here about the Nikon Fieldscopes. I made my decision to go with Nikon, and as luck would have it, I found a Nikon Fieldscope 78ED. I was going to get the Fieldscope 82ED, but when I came across the 78 I grabbed it. I highly recommend the Nikon Fieldscopes, either the 82ED or the Fieldscope IIIED, depending on the size you prefer. I am thrilled with my 78, so I can only imagine how good the 82ED is. The price is around $1300 for the 82Ed, and only $100 less for the FieldscopeIIIED, and another $400 for a 25-75x zoom eyepiece. I tend to use my zoom mostly at 20-30 maximum for digiscoping at the bird spots here around Ottawa.. but can zoom in for viewing. Hey, I could read the lettering on a truck parked in Aylmer, from the Shirleys Bay landing, so it impressed the heck outta me!
There is also a new digiscoping 38XW eyepiece that is pretty impressive, but maybe a little too much magnification for those closer or larger birds. I also bought the Nikon adapter, which is a treat to use.
If you want to see examples of photos I get with my Nikon, you can send me a pm.
Editing this to add... I dont know which adapter would fit the Elite to your 990, I'm sure there is one available through Focus Scientific. See if they cant get one in so you can try it out with your 990, before buying.
Also figure into your budget a good sturdy tripod. I tried three heads before getting one that didnt slip once the camera was attached. I went with the Manfrotto 055pro, with a 128rc head. Its serving me very well.. no shake at all, and no slipping from the weight.
Bev

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back