• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoped Eclipse (1 Viewer)

Balego

I dont know if its okay to post these here, so if not maybe a moderator can move them to the appropriet forum. I am new to digiscoping (end of Sept), and decided to try the scope on the lunar eclipse the other night. It was a clear night, fortunately. My scope is the Nikon 78Ed, with the Nikon CP990. I was pleased the photos turned out as well as they did... when the moon was in shadow I could barely see it in the camera LCD. ISO 200, shutter priority when in deep shadow was 1 second. Dont know what my aperature was.. I use shutter priority for the most part and hope for the best. ;)

Here is two of the 70 pics I took.. most of which did turn out as well as these two.
Bev

Attachments

• ecl5.jpg
    ecl5.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 238
  • ecl1.jpg
    ecl1.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
Well, I know nothing about digiscoping, but those are absolutely fantastic photos any way you look at 'em! Wow, you caught the red of the moon just perfectly! Thanks so much for sharing!

Bev, Those are great, thanks so much for sharing them with us. In Sask we were unable to see the eclipse because of heavy cloud cover and fog. I appreciate seeing what we missed.

Thank you all for commenting on the photos. I'm pretty tickled I was able to not only see the eclipse due to nice clear sky, but to get such good photos as a bonus. Now if only birds would be half as accomodating as the moon and just stay there for a while! ;)

Bev

Great pictures, I had been looking forward to this eclipse since clouds ruined the one earlier in the year. I had made a note on my calender Thursday 28th Oct 4am (ish) Eclipse.
So I set my alarm on Thursday night to get up at 3:20am. When I got up I looked out at the stunning moon with hardly any clouds....excellent.
I got wrapped up went outside with my DSLR and 500mm lens, took a couple of test shots of the 'full' moon and waited..........and waited.........and waited until I realised the moon wasn't changing at all approaching total eclipse. I then had that sinking feeling. I was a day late, I should have set my alarm Wednesday night for Thurs morning !!!!!! Gutted is not the word.
Oh well only 2 and 1/2 years till the next one !!!!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back