• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sydney - for 1 day (1 Viewer)

thomasbarker81

Getting a connecting flight from Auckland to Bangkok so will be in Sydney for one full day, I wish I had longer to explore bird life but it's just the way the flight have worked out.

Any suggestions of best places to head to get a good variety of Oz species?

Tom

What I did on the morning of a couple of days that I spent in Sydney in October 2010 was to walk the short distance from Circular Quay (a great spot, by the way) out to the Opera House and then just right into the Botanic Gardens. On these walks I saw pied, little pied and little black cormorants, Pacific black and Aus. wood ducks, chestnut teal, dusky moorhens, Aus. white ibises, masked lapwings, silver gulls, sulphur crested cockatoos, rainbow lorikeets, welcome swallows, noisy miners, Aus. magpies and pied currawongs. I read that one of the species of fairy wrens occurs in the Botanic Gardens, but I didn't see them there myself.

Getting a connecting flight from Auckland to Bangkok so will be in Sydney for one full day, I wish I had longer to explore bird life but it's just the way the flight have worked out.

Any suggestions of best places to head to get a good variety of Oz species?

Tom

Further to Allen's post, you can get a train from the airport to Circular Quay; just note the line that you are on for the return journey - there are fast and slow options...
MJB

If you have time to hire a car, you should try the Royal National Park, as 100 species is easily possible in a day.

If limited to public transport, then I'd suggest The Royal Botanical Gardens, but a visit to Centennial Park or Sydney Olympic Park could also produce the commoner australian birds and possibly a few surprises.

I did a day visit to Royal National Park and the. the Botanical Gardens in March and saw around 60 species of bird.

Highlights in the RNP included Superb Lyrebird, Green Catbird, Bassian Thrush, Rock Warbler, Chestnut-rumped Heathwren, Tawny-crowned Honeyeater, Satin Bowerbird, Eastern Spinebill, Wonga Pigeon and New Holland Honeyeater.

Highlights in the Botanic Gardens included Powerful Owl and lots of tame waterbirds.

I suggest hooking up with Barry Lancaster for the day. You can find his contact info on Birding Pal. He was great company, knows the birds well and enjoys showing visitors around.

Cheers

Sean :)

As above, if you hire a car, go to the Royal National Park. If you only have public transport, try Sydney Olympic Park and/or the Botanic Gardens :) Let me know if you want more specific info on where to look for which birds!

you can get to the Royal National Park easily by train from Sydney for a day trip, but of course you are restricted to walking distances once there.

Here are a few of the birds I saw in the Royal National Park and the Royal Botanical Gardens on my visit with Barry Lancaster.

Despite rumours that the Powerful Owl had moved on, there was one casting its beady eye on nearby Sulphur-crested Cocky's :).

Sean

Attachments

• Bassian Thrush BF2.jpg
    Bassian Thrush BF2.jpg
    443.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Dusky Moorhen BF.jpg
    Dusky Moorhen BF.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Eastern Koel BF.jpg
    Eastern Koel BF.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 61
  • Eastern Spinebill BF.jpg
    Eastern Spinebill BF.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Little Wattlebird BF.jpg
    Little Wattlebird BF.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 52
and a few more...

Attachments

• Powerful Owl staring BF.jpg
    Powerful Owl staring BF.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 52
  • Superb Lyrebird BF.jpg
    Superb Lyrebird BF.jpg
    443.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Sulphur crested Cockatoo flight BF.jpg
    Sulphur crested Cockatoo flight BF.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Noisy Miner BF.jpg
    Noisy Miner BF.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 49
  • New Holland Honeyeater BF.jpg
    New Holland Honeyeater BF.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 52
A little more time in Sydney

Hello

I have about 4-5 days in Sydney and I will have a car. Can anyone suggest a longer itinerary. Assume that I will be interested in even common birds since this will be a first visit to Australia.

Thank you

John Eigenauer

Hello, I have about 4-5 days in Sydney and I will have a car. Can anyone suggest a longer itinerary. Assume that I will be interested in even common birds since this will be a first visit to Australia. Thank you, John Eigenauer

John,
What time of year? At some times of year two days in Glen Davis north of Lithgow would provide the opportunity of some rarities among many common species (PM me for contact details), but the best advice would come from Oz birders who will soon respond. They are superb.
MJB

Sydney

John,
What time of year? At some times of year two days in Glen Davis north of Lithgow would provide the opportunity of some rarities among many common species (PM me for contact details), but the best advice would come from Oz birders who will soon respond. They are superb.
MJB

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I will be there in June of 2013.

John

That could be a good time for eg Regent Honeyeaters being at Glen Davis if the right trees are flowering.

If you wanted to really go for it for 5 days, you could feasibly, with a fair bit of driving, cover the Royal NP and Sydney, Barren Grounds, Capertee Valley (Glen Davis), and a site in the Blue Mountains. This would give you an absoloute shed load of birds, common and 'special', if you woke up at each of those sites to bird them first thing. But you might need to sleep in the car at Barren Grounds.

That would be very full on though, and maybe unnecessary, as you'll still see an awful lot of incredible birds as a first time visitor, just by visiting one or two of those sites.

EDIT Very much agree with MJB on the Glen Davis idea

#1: Capertee Valley and Glen Davis - 2 days here should get you at least 100 species. I can give you more specific info if you PM me. On the way from Sydney while travelling on Bells Line Rd, stop off at Peirce's Pass for an hour - really good birds here usually.

#2: Barren Grounds - you can camp nearby at -34.616151,150.65659 - this area will have a number of species different from Capertee, such as the two specialities Ground Parrot and Eastern Bristlebird, but also Southern Emu Wren, Beautiful Firetail, GangGang Cockatoo, Crescent Honeyeater, Pilotbird, Flame Robin, etc.

#3: Royal National Park - doing a day trip here while staying somewhere in Sydney will get you a lot of birds too - any of the southern wet forest species are possible (gerygones, thornbills, lyrebird, shrike-tit, whistlers, etc, etc, etc). Then heath areas can get you Rockwarbler, Honeyeaters, and more. The 3 sites here are:
a) Southern end of Lady Carrington Drive (park and walk up and back 3kms)
b) Any of the heath trails leading off the main road, such as -34.139834,151.061776
c) Wattle Flat: -34.083188,151.056165 - park and walk south along the small birders trail until it becomes too overgrown. Green Catbird, Shrike Tit, Rose Robin and more are reliable here.

Then if you have time left, there are a number of other good sites to try, maybe look at Warriewood Wetlands, Sydney Olympic Park, Eastlakes Golf Course, a pelagic maybe if there's one on, etc, etc. Make sure to check out http://www.eremaea.com/ , which is the Australian rare bird reporting service, and also provides species lists for all birding sites. Like I said before, once you've got a plan together, PM me and I can give you specifics!

Agreed, Royal Park is great. One of the highlights for me was going to Manley Beach and seeing Little Penguin.

That could be a good time for eg Regent Honeyeaters being at Glen Davis if the right trees are flowering. If you wanted to really go for it for 5 days, you could feasibly, with a fair bit of driving, cover the Royal NP and Sydney, Barren Grounds, Capertee Valley (Glen Davis), and a site in the Blue Mountains. This would give you an absoloute shed load of birds, common and 'special', if you woke up at each of those sites to bird them first thing. But you might need to sleep in the car at Barren Grounds. That would be very full on though, and maybe unnecessary, as you'll still see an awful lot of incredible birds as a first time visitor, just by visiting one or two of those sites. EDIT Very much agree with MJB on the Glen Davis idea

John,
If you're not into camping in the Oz midwinter, the Jamberoo Pub (Google it)not far away from Barren Grounds was superbly welcoming when we stayed there.

Joshua is a fount of good birding advice!
MJB

The penguins will be out at sea in June Hanno. And yes, camping in winter can be chilly, but it can also be rewarding ;) hahaha

John, are you planning a high-intensity 4-5 days rush around to see as much as possible or would you prefer to concentrate on a few sites fairly close to one another?

In any case, I would definitely recommend Royal NP - you could easily spend a leisurely couple of days exploring different habitats and walking trails. PM me if you would like specific info on the park - I live close by and am often there a couple of times a week so drop me a line before you arrive if you would like some company.

Marc Anderson
http://wildambience.com
http://marcanderson.com.au

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back