• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Romania - Spring 2013 (1 Viewer)

lostinjapan

Hi all

I'm taking part in some marine mammal mitigation work in The Black Sea from April to June and am hoping to have a few days free for birding on the Black Sea coast and also in the mountains and perhaps the Danube Delta.

I'll largely be in The Black Sea, but will be sailing from and making port calls in Constanta and hope to have 2-3 days at the start of June and possibly the end of April.

I have a few species I really want to see as they'd be lifers or Western Paleartic new birds:

Baillon's Crake - Porzana pusilia
Rock Partridge - Alectoris graeca
Saker Falcon - Falco cherrug ( I realise this is unlikely and a sensitive species)
Levant's Sparrowhawk - Accipter brevipes
Great Black-headed Gull - Larus ichthyaetus
Paddyfield Warbler - Acrocephalus agricola
Olive-tree Warbler - Hippolais olivetorum
Rueppels Warbler - Sylvia cantilans (maybe too far N)
Eurasian Roller - Coracias garrulus

Any help on places to see the above species within easy reach by public transport from Constanta or within a days travel would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Sean Minns

PS Anyone interested in going birding with me out there please PM me

I went to Romania on a tour in 2006.

We had Paddyfield Warbler at the Navodari Refinery ponds, I don't know if that area is public.

We had Levant Sparrowhawwk along the road outside Mamaia. It was just a lucky spotting by one of the patrons.

Rollers were fairly common in the right habitat.

Not a whiff of any of the others.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Last edited:
There's quite a few Romanian birders on here so hopefully they can help. I do know Cristian Mihai had Pied Fly in Budapest this week so stuff should be moving in, in good numbers, if you go in April.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back