• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Visiting UK in September 2013 (1 Viewer)

VS0113

Hi,

My name is Vincent from Singapore. My wife and I have been doing birding for about a year plus and mostly during weekend.

We plan to visit UK in September to enroll our daughter in a university in Plymouth and also to do some birding. We will spend about 2 weeks in UK and have about 7-8 days to spare. Not too sure whether is it the right season to bird during this time. If yes, can you recommend some places which are easy to access (by train, bus etc) and to shoot (garden birds, shore birds etc).

Thank you and regards.

Hi

Any season is a good season especially in a new country.

Bit difficult to advise without knowing how far you plan to travel, but I would start by looking at RSPB reserves
http://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/

also this place
http://www.wwt.org.uk/visit/slimbridge/

These reserves have hides so good for photos and most are accessible by public transport although would be an advantage to hire a car if you can.

If you haven't been to Europe before, some London parks assuming you'll be arriving there (or parks anywhere) are a good place to start to see common species close up. Richmond park for example.

Last edited:
September is peak migration time in the UK, and there will be plenty of waders (shorebirds) to see. Just to the west of Plymouth is the Tamar estuary but I believe this is not easy to visit (I hope someone who knows better will say). Better is the Exe estuary, running south from Exeter to the sea. There are railway stations at Starcross and Dawlish Warren on the west side, and at Topsham, Exton, Lympstone and Exmouth on the east. Dawlish Warren, at the mouth of the estuary, is an excellent place to visit (best around high tide).

If you plan to stay in Devon for a while, a good book to get hold of is "Where to watch birds in Devon and Cornwall" by David Norman and Vic Tucker, published by Helm.

Thanks Amarillo & Dave for the advice. Do you know of any guest house or inn which we can stay there for 2 days to relax and at the same time shooting some garden birds?

Suprised no ones mentioned Slapton Sands?

Its a long bus journey, but the bus leaves from plymouth, its about a 90min journey though, but you have the sea one side and a body of fresh water across the road [literally]

They have a vast range of birds and other animals....marsh harriers are a good BoP there, also i believe Ospreys stop by there on the way in and out? Loads of ducks and well....so much its hard to note, they have woodland, marshland, reed beds, the sea, beach....virtually all habitats you could wish for in one place!

No worries, i used to live near it and once volunteerd there for a summer, so i think its a very special place.

The fresh water lake is huge and houses resident otters [google earth it] and is under threat from the sea, with erotion, its slowly wearing away at the beach and well, once it gets to the road its only feet away from trickling into the lake and changing it. Its gonna take a few years of course [i think they said 50 odd years?] but still, its a beautifull place so please go see it whilst its still a fresh water lake.

There are walks around too, i'll see if i can find old paper work and scan it in, there are 3 walks and well yeah, hope you have time for Slapton

Hi Staysee,

Have you found the material for Slapton Sands? Would you recommend that we stay a day or 2 near this place?

Thank you and regards

Hi Staysee,

Have you found the material for Slapton Sands? Would you recommend that we stay a day or 2 near this place?

Thank you and regards

Sorry for the late reply, started to look....but now packing to move house so i doubt im gonna find it anytime soon, but i'll see what i can do once we move and i go through all my boxes!

Well, you can do Slapton sands in a day, lovely beach too....but if you wanted an extra day maybe get one early morning for the otters and a late night for the bats!

Whilst im thinking, i will search online for the programme for this year!

Thanks Staysee.

Regards
Sorry for the late reply, started to look....but now packing to move house so i doubt im gonna find it anytime soon, but i'll see what i can do once we move and i go through all my boxes!

Well, you can do Slapton sands in a day, lovely beach too....but if you wanted an extra day maybe get one early morning for the otters and a late night for the bats!

Whilst im thinking, i will search online for the programme for this year!

Looking for BirdingPal

Hi,

My name is Vincent from Singapore. My wife and I have been doing birding for about a year plus and mostly during weekend.

We plan to visit UK in September to enroll our daughter in a university in Plymouth and also to do some birding. We will spend about 2 weeks in UK and have about 7-8 days to spare. Not too sure whether is it the right season to bird during this time. If yes, can you recommend some places which are easy to access (by train, bus etc) and to shoot (garden birds, shore birds etc).

Thank you and regards.

Greeting,

We will arrived in Plymouth tomorrow and will by staying at Ibis Plymouth. My wife and I will be freed from 16-Sep till 19-Sep.

We would like to find out is there anyone able to show us around or we can tag along for some birding?

Thank you and regards.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back