• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Snipe species (1 Viewer)

robinchittenden

Award winning wildlife photographer, writer, tour
Anyone identify this Snipe seen on recent Limosa Holidays tour to Trinidad & Tabago April 2013?

Seen near Arima on Trinidad.

Thanks

Robin

Attachments

• 001 Snipe species Trinidad TT April 2013 cp crs 130dpi.jpg
    001 Snipe species Trinidad TT April 2013 cp crs 130dpi.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 105
I would like to return the question to you: without having looked at the books, I believe that the default species is Wilson's Snipe -- is there any reason to believe that this is something different?

Niels

Not easy as there is little patterning to be seen on the scapulars / tertial but the primary tips appear to be hidden and the very tip of the tail shows as two white spots divided by a spur from the subliminal black bar which I've noted on the South American taxa. Going on such slight criteria is a bit of a gamble but - G. paraguaiae ?

Chris

I would like to return the question to you: without having looked at the books, I believe that the default species is Wilson's Snipe -- is there any reason to believe that this is something different?

Niels

South American Snipe (Gallinago paraguaiae) is apparently more likely to be seen the later in spring you get and presumably breeds on the island. Wilson's Snipe normally depart for the US.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Chris for your info.

Robin

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back