• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

reintroduction (1 Viewer)

should wild boar be reintroduced to the uk?

• yes they should

Votes: 53 69.7%
  • no no no

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • whats a wild boar?

Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters
I absolutely think they should be reintroduced. I support both the scottish wolf project and the wild boar scheme. Obviously not in urban parks and woodland!!!

Take care

Boogs

What the hell do you want wild boars roaming around woods for, one nearly killed me in Germany, in the end I wasn't sure who was more frightened. The UK is not big enough for such animals.

Just a view!

Paul

Seb

You write in the certain knowledge that no wild boar will be running down the streets of Walsall! I was there today, and it is clearly not suitable.

But seriously, I agree with Camberley Red. This island ain't big enough and these things can be dangerous!

Peter Hayes said:
This island ain't big enough and these things can be dangerous!

Can we apply this argument to motor cars, too ?

The only reservations I have about re-introducing them is that some barbarian with more pockets than brain cells will start 'hunting' them, not for food but for so-called sport.

if we got rid of tony blairs ears then there might be room for a few wild boar. and anyway they have as much right to live here as you,or me,or some random person living in dudley

There are many places in the british isles where they could flourish. The reintroduction projects do not and would not put them in places where harm may come to people. In fact probably the only way somebody could be hurt is if they were tresspassing on a reserve. I was nearly killed by a swan as a child, that was just walking along a public footpath. Of course, the swans need no reintroduction, but if it were the case they might be considered dangerous. Thats not my view by the way just an example.

Take care

Boogs

The world is a better place for biodiversity.

Yes, I believe they are out there already.
I am not in favour as I also feel that there is not enough room in the UK for those animals, they need large forests to roam and hide in.
They will get run-over on the roads, uproot people's precious lawns and generally create havoc.
When there are too many, farmers will get fed-up with them and start to shoot them.
I can see it end in tears. So..........No, No.

I've heard the Red Deer population is getting out of hand in Scotland...how about introducing a few Mountain Lions to thin their numbers?

No need to re-introduce Wild Boar. Already here and well established in woods in West Kent.

Complete cobblers that they pose any danger. Rarely seen, few people even know they are there. Do do a bit of damage to crops though.

Seen as a welcome addition to the county's fauna. Their grubbing about adds a bit of diversitity to the woodland.

We've got Beavers too!

yes there is something like half a million more red and roe deer than the space can hold..and there have been discussion about possible wolf reintroduction to the highlands. i admit that wild boar could be dangerous|(they are quite stupid) but in places like romania wolf roam the streets and woods day and night and in the united states since reintroductions of wolf packs there have been no deaths due to wolves. of course in britain the wolf would be only reintroduced into places that are well out the way and have sufficient space,the scottish highlands.

Wolves roaming the streets of Glasgow early Sunday mornings, shudder to think what easy pickings they would find. Beavers eh!!

Yep. European Beaver have been introduced as an experiment in Kent.

If it all works out maybe there will be a larger scale re-introduction countrywide.

The UK is the last European country without Beaver, to re-introduce them. There have been no problems in the other countries, if fact they have become tourist attractions.

No no no no no!!!! They have been reintroduced here in France during the last 30 years and have bred to such an extent that they devastate crops. They have no natural predators apart from man. This enables men with guns to boast that they hunt boars to protect the farmers crops, convieniently forgetting it was the hunters that introduced them in the first place!! To sum up, the only winners are the hunting fraternity, don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

I think myself that they have already been reintroduced over here. Certainly a couple of wild pigs if not wild boar are living wild in a couple of forests that I know of.
I suppose they would make a walk through the woods a little more exhilerating if one should decide to take exception to your presence, but on the whole I don't think there is any real need to reintroduce such a creature. It's presence is likely to cause more problems than benefits.

Last edited:
there will be problems...but you have to remember that they are/were native to britain..and have rights to stay here..and also have benefits to the enviroment and wildlife. i must say the fact that there is no predator of adult boars is definately a downpoint...there are lots of predators on young boars from foxes to buzzard.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back