• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bill Oddie in Ireland (1 Viewer)

T0ny

Okillre Member
Can any folkies on the forum tell me the music being played during this prog ? I got Stairway to Heaven, of course, and I think I recognised Cuckoo's Nest, but the rest were unfamiliar.

Cheers

Tony

Scientists don't believe in fairies because no scientist has ever seen one. Fairies don't believe in scientists for exactly the same reason.

Tony

Very good T0ny.

Incidentally, I am as sick as a pig on the wing because I missed the prog. Monkeyman has kindly taped it for me but I hear it was excellent. I wonder if our Irish corresondent Harry H saw it, and if so what his expert verdict was?

Hi all,
While I enjoyed last night's show,a few points to raise:
1)WHY must every show mention "the little people" and play up the quaintness quotient times 1000??
2)Irish Hares are a subspecies,but of the Mountain Hare,not the Brown Hare.The latter never reached Ireland after the last Ice Age due to the island being cut off from Britain before they could (re?)colonise as conditions became suitable.As a consequence,the Mountain Hare(which would have been able to move here before the more southerly Brown)adapted to the new climate,and is found from the mountains down to sea level.It also no longer turns white in the winter,as an adaptation to the general lack of snow here.
3)That guy with the bats is Conor Kelleher of the Cork Bat Group:I know him!He's MAD about bats,as much as I'm into birds!
4)There ARE birds in that yew wood:a study was published in "Irish Birds" a few years back about the bird communities there.Few migrants,but good numbers of tits and Goldcrests,I think.
5)Did Bill learn to play the tin whistle while birding here?(He used to come over quite a bit in the 70's and 80's,and found many good birds,including Kentish Plover,which is a mega here(need it myself))
Harry Hussey
P.S.I was led to believe that he would be in the Burren?Maybe later in the series?

Thanks for the interesting snippets, Bill used to be in a band or summat so probably learned it before.

Harry, I agree about the 'Little People' , it irritated me very much.
Many of those sort of programs feel that they have to add a light and humorous touch which can grate a lot.
Stunning scenery shots though.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back