• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mink Cull Suffolk (1 Viewer)

cjay

The Suffolk Wildlife Trust are advertising for people to train to kill Mink by trapping. Is this a good idea or not?

Mink are vermin in the Uk through the releasing of them by animal rights activists.
:-C :-C

We are trialing Mink culling on the Romney Marsh. Can only be a good thing.

The Isle of Sheppey is virtually Mink free, Environment Agency follow up any reports and destroy any Mink that make it to the island. Also the gamekeepers on the island shoot them on site.

Because of this Sheppey has unofficially become a Water Vole Reserve; even the grottiest looking ditches have superb populations.

Also contributes to the great breeding success of waders & wildfowl on the marshes.

But the permanant solution is Otters. Mink cannot compete with them. There was a recent report from Northamptonshire of an Otter killing a Mink.

Home rule for Otters. Great I saw one last year on the Eske estuary, it will be great if Otters can return in numbers. Also will be a great bonus if they can eradicate the mink. The animal rights lot could do with some eradication as well, especially the cretins that released the mink in the first place

kill em.i think mink are largely responsible for the decline in water vole. and about otters,i remember reading an article on the bbc i think, saying that otters have found home in 30 cities...even on canals!

Not a case of thinking Mink are responsible for Water Vole decline, it's a fact.

Also no hope of re-introductions except in Mink free sites, such as Barne Elms.

There is a captive breeding program, but few suitable release sites.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back