• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nailing a Nuthatch (1 Viewer)

nigelblake

don't re member
Hi
I personally do not like pictures of birds on feeders but food is one of the best ways to get birds to come close to you, My feeding station has a number of feeders which I keep well stocked, in addition to this I have a few pieces of metal tube driven into the ground near these, in which I put fresh perches each time I go for a photo session, this is so I do not have the birds sat on perches that are dotted with poop, I only photograph the birds on these fresh perches.
I also carry with me a battery powered drill, over the past few weeks I have trained my Nuthatch to come to Hazel nuts that are jammed in holes (out of camera view), that I have drilled in various pieces of wood, the trick is to remove the feeders and place a few nuts near the ones jammed in the holes, most birds take these off and eat them elsewhere but then, when only the securely jammed ones are left they stay and peck at them, and of course are in front of the camera for a longer time while they do this. Changing the drilled perches means that you get pix in different surroundings.

Nigel

Attachments

• img_0916rsz.jpg
    img_0916rsz.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 466
I only use natural perches, and generally keep an eye open for twigs etc that I feel will compliment the final image.

That's what I expected from a Photomeister like you, thanks again for tips. What do you think of another member's idea of smearing fat into a hole in a log?

Another image from the same session yesterday, these twigs have been stapled to two upright posts, these in turn have been put in a possition where the background is uncluttered.

This is a Marsh Tit

Attachments

• img_0829rsz.jpg
    img_0829rsz.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 330
Nigel thanks again. There is a lovely delicate quality to your photography that you have made all your own. I think you bring out absolutely the best in whichever birds you photograph.

As for that brilliant shot of the Nuthatch; it makes up for not seeing one yesterday on the MonkeyBash round the West Midlands!

See you tomorrow at Slimbash.

I look forward to the Bird Forum/Nigel Blake - 2004 Calendar of close up British Birds! the Waxwing, Nuthatch and Marsh Tit are absolutly wonderful, so there are the first 3 months done.

Many Thanks

Paul

Truly gorgeous shots, as always. I am so glad that you share your tips with us. It gives us something to think about when taking our pictures, things to be aware of.

Thanks!
DonnaA

Nigel those are wonderful photographs and the tips were excellent as well. Thanks for all the good stuff you do.

As usual, outstanding.
It sounds as if you are a great stage manager with fresh and inovative ideas!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back