• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cruise in August. (1 Viewer)

Jeanie

Jeanie with one n.
Hi, I have just booked a cruise of Iceland and Norway for early August. We, 2 people, will be in Reykjavik on the 5th and 6th of Aug. and Isafjordur on the 7th and Husavik on the 8th.
Does anyone know of local guides who would be happy to collect and drop us off at the port. We did this around South America and it was very successful.

Many thanks.

Well I am not having much luck. Have come across Gavia Travel as recommended in Birdwatching mag. but Google says don't use their e-mail since it's got some virus. Tried phoning but it was a recorded message. She may have been saying the line is busy or it no longer exists.
Tried a link to a different company given on here but the e-mail is no longer valid.
I haven't tried birding pals because I would rather pay someone the going rate.
Help.

Just thought, maybe it's too early will phone later. Have also contacted the farmhouse people to see if they can recommend a guide.

Last edited:
Hi Jeannie

It would seem that Edward might have missed this - try a PM, I'm sure he would be able to advise you.

Have you found this website?

I see that the ship has a trip, "BOAT TRIP TO VIGUR ISLAND". from Isafjordar. Has anyone tried this for bird watching?

I see that the ship has a trip, "BOAT TRIP TO VIGUR ISLAND". from Isafjordar. Has anyone tried this for bird watching?

I've never actually been to Vigur although I've heard it's a nice trip - the island has a big Common Eider colony, Black Guillemots, Puffins and I'd be surprised if there weren't Snow Buntings there too. I'll be in Ísafjörður for a week in July, perhaps I should take my kids there and report back! Enjoy the trip round the north-west corner of Iceland on your way from Ísafjörður to Húsavík - you will go past some towering cliffs (more than 500 m high) which hold hundreds of thousands of auks, including vast numbers of Brünnich's Guillemot.

Many thanks Edward. Hopefully book that and I have had a contact from a Hotel Raudaskride in Husavik who can arrange a half day trip. Unfortunately the boat leaves there at 2 pm. so can't do a full day.
They suggest either: Possible sites are
Around Husavik area (short tour)
Towards Laxa River and Lake Myvatn ares (1/2 + 1/1 day)

Do you have any thoughts on which would be best for general birding for 4 hours?

Hi Jeanie,

If you can manage it a trip to Myvatn would be the best option, but keep in mind it's a 45 minute drive from Husavik. Great scenery though and one of the best birding sites in Iceland with Harlequin Duck, Barrow's Goldeneye, Great Northern Loon, Horned Grebe, Red-necked Phalarope all easy to find plus lots of other ducks and a decent chance of Gyrfalcon. The area around Husavik is very nice, but has not nearly as many species.
I don't think there's many tour guides in Iceland, certainly not like the way they do it in Latin America, the demand is simply not high enough. Some of the local guys that are on farmholidays.is may offer tours, could be worth checking out.
Hope you have a great trip!

N

Many thanks for that helpful info. The chap from the Hotel Raudaskride is looking in to getting us to Myvatn but we are constrained to 4 hours. This is the only port that the ships leaves early. What a pity.

Many thanks for that helpful info. The chap from the Hotel Raudaskride is looking in to getting us to Myvatn but we are constrained to 4 hours. This is the only port that the ships leaves early. What a pity.

Even if you don't get to Mývatn there is plenty to see in the way of birds in the Húsavík area.

Total driving time from Jusavik to Myvatn and back, with a loop around the lake and a stop at Dimmuborgir is 1:45 hours. In 2 hours at the lake you could do a short walk through Dimmuborgir (for the resident pair of Gyrfalcon), stop at Hofdi (for endemic subspecies of passerines) and the Laxa river bridge (for Harlequin Duck), and visit the northwestern part of the lake (Nesland - apparently best for waterfowl). I'm sure Edward knows the best spots if you decide to go Myvatn!

N

Have sorted out trips from 2 ports. One is a ship led trip to Vigur. Over priced but fits in with being there for a day. The next is at Húsavík which is a, " roundtrip for Laxa River, Kaldbakur Ponds, Bakki and Cape Lynghöfði. Good chance of several species but unlikely to see a Gyr Falcon. "
Have contacted a couple of firms re Reykjavik, including Gavia but have had no response. Have a copy of David Lindo's trip to Reykjavik so will try and do part of that.
Any one know how much a taxi will be to hire by the hour?

We travelled on the MS Braemar to Iceland leaving Dover on the 31st July. We arrived in the Faroe Islands 2 days later. During the journey to the Faroes’ we were followed by Great Skua, Gannets, Kittiwake and Fulmars. We saw lots of Puffin and Guillemots. The port of arrival was Torshavn. We walked around the dock area away from the town and followed the coast till we cut inland into the top part of the town where we found a small park with streams and wooded areas. On the way to the park we saw the first of many Eider Duck, a pair of Common Scoter and Tufted Ducks. In gardens we saw Wheatear and a Meadow Pipit. There were loads of Artic Terns flying overhead.
When we entered the park we saw our first Redwing. We also saw Hooded Crows, Sparrows, Blackbirds, a Robin and some Rock Doves.
In the afternoon we went on a ship organised coach trip to the villages of Saksun and Kollafjordur where we saw some Whooper Swans and our first Artic Skua.

The ship then travelled to Iceland. We docked in Reykjavik for 2 nights. We had brought a copy of David Lindo’s two bird trip reports based in Iceland. We followed his suggestion and took a taxi to Bakkatjorn Lake on the Seltjarnarnes peninsular west of the city. The driver charged 5000 ISK which is about £30 for an hour. You can get there by bus but it was a bank holiday and the buses were not running in the morning.
Unfortunately it was blowing a gale and whilst we knew we were looking at Red-necked Phalaropes the view was very distorted. We spent the rest of the day walking around the town. There is a largish lake in the centre of town which had some Greater Scaup, Ravens, Whooper Swans and gulls various. We went to the Botanical Gardens and saw Golden Plover, Blackbirds and White Wagtails.
As a consequence of the strong winds we decided to hire a car the following day. It was delivered at 9am. We chose a company called Route 1 and with petrol the car cost about £100.
In hindsight we should have booked it from the evening before so that we could have left earlier as we had to be back on board by 16.30.
It was a beautiful day weather wise and we revisited Bakkatjorn lake. This is a small lake on the other side of a coastal strip. It was full of Red necked Phalaropes, Dunlin, Greylag geese, Whooper Swans and ducks various. We also saw Snipe.
The coastal strip side had Red shanks, Golden Plover and Ring Plover.
We then drove to Ellidavtn Lake south of Reykjavik. This is a large lake formed when they built a dam. To get there we followed the A1 towards Vik and then took the A408. There are various stopping/viewing points around the lake. One of the first birds that we saw was a Great Northern Diver in pristine condition. The sound of the ‘Loons’ calling to each other was quite stunning. We also saw a Slovenian Grebe, Red-breasted Merganser, Tufted and Eider ducks.
On the way back to the ship we stopped off in the Botanical Gardens again and saw a flock of newly fledged Redpoll. These are somewhat bigger than the ones we get in the UK.
The next day we docked in Isjafjordin. We had booked a trip via the ship to visit Vigor Island. This involved a 30 minute journey in a small boat. The island is a breeding ground for Puffin. They have about 80,000 in the spring. It was also full of Artic Tern and Black Guillemots. You had to look where you were going to avoid standing on the young of the tern. To our delight the many small waders which were moving like large mice about the stones on the shore turned out to be Purple Sandpipers. We also saw Snow Buntings. There were many Glaucous Gulls, Ravens, Black-headed Gulls and the ubiquitous Eider Ducks.
The following day we sailed into Husavik. Unfortunately we had an early departure so could only book a morning bird watching trip. I had made contact with Harald Johannesson of Wildlife Iceland [email protected] and he arranged for Gaukar Hjartarson to be our guide.
Gaukar was waiting for us at Husavik Harbour and drove us around the local area for about 4 hours. Laxa River, Kaldbakur Ponds, Bakki and Kape Lynghofoi.
He asked for our wish list which was Harlequin Duck, Long-tailed Duck, Barrows Goldeneye and Ptarmigan and anything else he could show us. Within minutes we had seen our first Harlequin Duck, sadly because of the time of year not a male in breeding plumage but still a great find.
We saw Artic Tern, Merlin, Glaucous, Herring and Black- Headed Gulls, Fulmar and Kittiwake. Eider, Long- tailed Duck, Wigeon and Tufted Duck. Meadow Pipit, Redwing, Raven and Golden Plover. Whimbrel, Black-tailed Godwit, Redpoll and Slovenian Grebe. Barrows Golden Eye, Greater Scaup, Great Northern Diver and Red-necked Phalarope.
We also saw Wren. Gaukar believes that they will split the Wren from the European one because it has subtle differences and has been genetically in Iceland for thousands of years.
He was an excellent guide and he also showed us some geological features such as the fault line between the European plate and the American plate that lies very close to Husavik and a geyser. He is going to be at the Bird Fair and if you are planning a visit is the man to speak to.
We had a great time in Iceland and saw 4 new birds to add to our list.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back