• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Virgen Del Soccoro (1 Viewer)

JJP

Is Virgen Del Soccoro still active as a desired birding location? How far on the dirt road can you drive?

Yes, it's still worth visiting. The trail along the river that used to have Lanceolated Monklet is gone along with that good part of the forest but who knows, maybe the monklet still occurs somewhere around there. Best birding seems to be on the other side of the river (east side) as the habitat is more intact there. Over the past 2 years, I have had good tanager flocks including several Black and Yellow, Emerald, and Blue and Gold. White and Barred Hawks are usually present, I almost always record Black-headed Tody Flycatcher, Sooty-faced Finch, Crimson-collared Tanager, and Rufous-browed Tyrannulet. When trees are flowering, it is really good for hummingbirds.

The road, though, is pretty rough and can only be done with four wheel drive. It was always like that but seemed worse on a visit last month. It continues on up past Alberque del Socorro and passes through a very good area of forest that has possibilities for turning up any number of foothill rarities. Some of the more uncommon species I have had there are Ornate Hawk Eagle, Brown-billed Scythebill, Lattice-tailed Trogon, and White-crowned Manakin. On another interesting, intriguing note, a bill snap can be heard in a recording I made of a Slaty-backed Nightingale Thrush in that area. Sounds very much like that of a ground-cuckoo but who knows what it is...

In February of 2012, my wife and I spent a little less than a couple of hours on the road that Patrick mentions, above Alberque del Socorro. Here is our list, in no certain order, from that walk:
Slate-throated Redstart
Common Bush-Tanager
Lesser Greenlet
Tufted Flycatcher
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Tropical Parula
Yellow-faced Grassquit
Black-and-Yellow Tanager
Bat Falcon
Spangled-cheeked Tanager
Silver-throated Tanager
Bay-headed Tanager
Buff-throated Foliage-Gleaner
Red-faced Spinetail
Spotted Woodcreeper
Collared Trogon
Chestnut-mandibled Toucan
Green Honeycreeper

Only one vehicle passed us during the entire walk.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back