• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID chamaeleon frog? (1 Viewer)

MikeB.

In my Landie, under a tree
Took attached photo of a frog last month, that changes colour, he/she was on a white (ish) wall and changed colour to camoflage.

Location northern Angola, West Africa.

Never seen one do this before...

Any thoughts appreciated!

Mike

Attachments

• Frog 1 comp 051004.jpg
    Frog 1 comp 051004.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 195
Hi Mike

I definitely no expert on African frogs and don't have any books with me
at the moment but the name that comes to mind is Chiromantis.

They are medium sized - 6-8 cm long - does that fit? They lay their
eggs in a foam nest over water.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for that - following up on the word Chiromantis I've posted on the appropriate 'frog' websites (there are many!), and does indeed seem to be a variant of this, being a foam nest tree frog that changes to white in the daytime to reflect heat in dry African conditions, according to the experts. Haven't got a final id yet though.

I've been offered money by people that collect these things!

Mike
|:d|

To me it looks rather like a reed frog (Family Hyperoliidae, Genus Hyperolius). They also turn white in dry conditions. But I can not put a species name to this one ...

Jörn

Hi Mike and Joern

Joern, you could well be right. I remember seeing some Hyperolius that were white, with red markings (I forget the species now).

From my recollection this Hyperolius was smaller, in the range of 2-3cm ?? and that is why I gave the size range of Chiromantis.

Mike, do you know the size of the one you photographed.

Pete

Hi Pete, Joern,

Thanks for your help, and based on your suggestions, I've tried to Google both Hyperolius and Charomantis, but nothing like this, despite now having looked at hundreds of photos. Even the frog sites can't throw any light on this one, saying it might be a new species! Great, but I doubt it.

It has amazing grey eyes, and earlier on in the day I took the photo, the body was completely white (full-on sunlight).

The body was approximately 25-30 mm long, certainly not 40mm (or longer).

And at least 1km away from a river, the nearest habitat to my office wall, is thick elephant-type grass about 30 metres away.

He stayed put for two days, then he (or she) disappeared, either a bird or more likely the cleaner got rid of him.

Not confident of success on this.

Cheers,

Mike :scribe:

The frog is a Grey Tree Frog (or Foam Nest Frog as suggested) - Chiromantis xerampelina. I attach a photograph of a Grey Tree Frog taken recently in a private nature reserve in the Hoedspruit area (adjoining Kruger National Park). This particulr frog was nowhere near permanent water and they rely on rain puddles when the rains arrive. As has been suggested they construct a foam nest in the branches of a tree overhanging a puddle or pool of water. When the tadpoles emerge they then drop into the water. There is some interesting research on them as multiple males mate with a single female. They have the ability to change colour from pure white to a very dark grey, depending upon heat and background.

Attachments

• Grey Tree Frog.JPG
    Grey Tree Frog.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 136
Hi Numzaan,

Thank you so much for your reply and for us to finally put this one to bed. You describe exactly the behaviour / location of this fascinating frog.

Attached is a photo I took after making him move a bit when he was white, and you can see that his feet stand out sharply - presumably why they are usually tucked away. As you say, they change from this completely white, to very dark brown (I haven't seen grey).

Obviously well distributed, but sometimes two years go by without seeing them.
I appreciate that you've been kind enough to reply to this thread from some months ago.

Go well,

Mike

Attachments

• Frog red legs comp.jpg
    Frog red legs comp.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 132
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back