• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another 0ne - just for fun (1 Viewer)

kath_rsa

Hi experts... I have another piccie of a mushroom that I believe is of the Microglossum family. It also does not appear in my SA mushroom guides. I think is it really a lovely looking fungus.. we found it in newly formed rockpools filled up when a spring started springing out of the mountain after a major summer rainfall.

As I said.. just posted for the beauty... any further info gratefully accepted!

Regards
Kath

Attachments

• Order Helotiales ( the earth tongues, this one seems to be the Orange earth tongue, or microglassum
    23 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
kath_rsa said:
Hi experts... I have another piccie of a mushroom that I believe is of the Microglossum family. It also does not appear in my SA mushroom guides. I think is it really a lovely looking fungus.. we found it in newly formed rockpools filled up when a spring started springing out of the mountain after a major summer rainfall.

As I said.. just posted for the beauty... any further info gratefully accepted!

Regards
Kath

Kath,

Something seems to have gone wrong with this as no thumbnail comes up on screen. As these forums don't work perfectly in a couple of small details with Firefox, my browser of choice, I also tried it with Internet Explorer. Both browsers give dire warnings if I click on the link.

However, I tried saving the link directly to disk, found I had a claimed php file, checked it in Notepad and decided it looked like a jpeg, renamed it as a jpeg, and found I indeed have the beautiful photograph you intended to post.

My determination to see the image was because you mentioned Microglossum - a key interest of mine.
As it happens, your fungus is not a Microglossum but is another genus that, rightly or wrongly, is placed in the same family (Geoglossaceae).

Your fungus is a 'Bog Beacon' - a Mitrula species. (Mitrula in the strict sense, not including many fungi formerly placed in the genus.)

To my British eyes it looks exactly like Mitrula paludosa, a fairly common fungus with us in similar (acidic) situations, growing underwater on dead leaves and with the fruit bodies emerging above water in the spring, sometimes in great numbers. However, I will not firmly name it as that as M. paludosa is part of a world complex of very similar species that can only be separated by careful examination of the spores. I am not sure which ones you have in S.Africa and as it is 3am here, I shall not go looking anything up right now.

I shall try re-posting your image (which I have re-saved with Photoshop to avoid any complications). I may also send you a private message when I am more awake, as I am very interested in this.

Alan

Attachments

• BogBeacon.jpg
    BogBeacon.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 148
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back