• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Rome, Florence, and Genoa (1 Viewer)

Wetlandbirdgirl

Hi all,
I am headed to Italy in mid September and would like to bird while I am there. I will be staying in Rome, Florence, and Genoa. My problem is figuring out what birds to study so I can be familiar with what will be present when I am there. I haven't found a lot of resources that can help me narrow down my list. Can any of you help direct me to any lists or sites that would be useful? Thank you!

I think the following list (40 species) covers the vaste majority of the birds you are likely to see during a casual stroll in urban Italy:

Cormorant
Grey Heron
Little Egret
Yellow-Legged Gull
Black-Headed Gull
Mallard
Moorhen
Coot
Kestrel
Peregrine
Sparrowhawk
Common/Pallid Swifts (the few swifts left by mid september are more likely to be Pallid)
Collared Dove
Feral Pigeon (Rock Dove)
Woodpigeon
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Green Woodpecker
Barn Swallow
House Martin
Blackbird
Robin
Spotted Flycatcher
White Wagtail
Grey Wagtail
Black Redstart
Blackcap
Chiffchaff
Sardinian Warbler
Starling
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long-Tailed Tit
Jackdaw
Magpie
Hooded Crow
Chaffinch
Greenfinch
Goldfinch
Serin
Italian Sparrow

Of course, if you happen to go out of city centres, the variety increases dramatically and it's not easy to provide you with a list. Moreover, mid september is migration time, so there might be a few surprises, particularly in large parks. As for city specialties, Blue Rock Thrush is common among the ruins in Rome's Fori Imperiali; Genoa is well known among italian birders for its feral parrots (Blue-Fronted Parrot, Monk Parakeet and Rose Ringed Parakeet, the last being the most common - try in piazza Portello); in Florence, the Arno banks provide a wealth of riverine habitats, where Cetti's Warblers are not uncommon.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back