• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Razor HD 8.5x50 WOW!!!! (1 Viewer)

rj112275

I got into a rut, and was no longer happy with the 13 year old pair of Steiner Nighthunters that I owned. So, I've proceed to buy and sell several pairs of binoculars over the past year.

CamerlandNY had the Vortex 8.5x50 for $899 and I've read a lot about the Razor HD comparing well against other, more expensive pairs of binoculars. One of the binoculars that I sold recently was a pair of Swarovision 8.5x42. They were great, but I had a hard time tying up $2000 in a pair of binoculars (and so did my wife).

The Razor HD's are very good. I like the diopter knob better than the Swaro's. It has a solid "click" to it. Other than that, I really like them and feel the $900 is much better than $2000 with some really good optics. The added 50mm over 42mm is nice, and the heavier weight is no problem. I already have a tripod adapter on order.

If you're on the fence and curious if you can get a really good pair of binoculars for under $1000, my answer is yes! Thanks Vortex Razor HD

Russ
Memphis, Tennessee

Agreed! I too purchased a pair a few weeks ago (thanks Neil!!)--very pleased with the overall image--the colors 'pop' out and the clarity is superb. 8.5/50 seems to be my sweet spot for design.

Now for the big question--Do the current 2012 Razors have a better image? Really thinking about selling my 8x42 Vipers for a pair of 8x42 Razors.

I notice the price for the 2012 Razor is the same as the 2011 model.

What is the difference other than design? If we took each model apart would the lenses/prisms/coatings be the same?

My experience side by side with the original Razor HD and the new HD is that the new ones are better on the edges and brighter.

I think the new Razor HD is a very good binocular.

hmm, this particular model has been discontinued, would have been cool to have tried one. You can't find 8.5x50 in HD glass any more.

Bauer do an 8.5x50 HD, although I haven't seen it, and whether it is actually HD glass is anybody's guess.

I own or have owned the Nikon Monarch 8.5x45, Nikon Monarch 8.5x56, and Nikon Monarch 5 8x56 ED.

The 8.5x45 is the one I use most often given it's lighter weight although of the current NM5 56s the 8x has the best spec for my use. There's not much between them although the NM5 controls CA better for me in normal daylight use compared to the others.

As you say there's not a great deal of choice in 8.5x50 although the Opticron Imagic BGA SE 8.5x50 is still available and may be worth a look.

Enjoy the Summer !

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back