• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Took the plunge - ED78 (1 Viewer)

jackeen

Many thanks to all here. I've been lurking here reading and gaining invaluable information on scopes over the past week and took the plunge today based on the info gained.

Opted for the ED78 with the 25 -75x zoom from Express and picked up the Manfrotto 055 and 128 fluid head from my local camera center.

Might invest in the Nikon SLR adapter to link to my D70 nikon when someone does a review of it.

Now where to get that hard to locate case :C :C ???

Many thanks again

Jackeen

Last edited:
Hi Jackeen,

On behalf of Admin and the Moderators welcome to Bird Forum :t:

You have purchased a very nice scope and tripod setup indeed as I am sure you will already have found out for yourself.

Cases aren't really needed nowadays for the waterproof scopes though I must admit I always buy them myself to keep the scope clean and tidy. Hopefully someone will be along to offer some advice though quite often the place where you buy the scope offers a decent price on the case as well.

jackeen said:
Many thanks to all here. I've been lurking here reading and gaining invaluable information on scopes over the past week and took the plunge today based on the info gained.

Opted for the ED78 with the 25 -75x zoom from Express and picked up the Manfrotto 055 and 128 fluid head from my local camera center.

Might invest in the Nikon SLR adapter to link to my D70 nikon when someone does a review of it.

Many thanks again

Jackeen

I have an ED78 and got the Opticron stay on case for Imagic 80A angled-it fits perfectly if you can't get the stay on case/wish an alternative. I'm sure you'll have lots of fun-I'm amazed how much light gets in to the scope on a dull day

markgrubb said:
I have an ED78 and got the Opticron stay on case for Imagic 80A angled-it fits perfectly if you can't get the stay on case/wish an alternative. I'm sure you'll have lots of fun-I'm amazed how much light gets in to the scope on a dull day

I too have the imagic 80 case which is a very snug fit, though it does restrict access to the focus wheel and makes it difficult to turn the body. There was a thread a couple of months ago where one member actually found a case for an ED78 he bought it from
http://www.binoculars.com/products/Nikon_VUE-THRU_Case_for_Fieldscope_78mm_143.html

I find the carry case is quite useful if I am going somewhere where there are hides and the SOC good when I am out and about.

Jackeen, I'd strongly recommend a stay on case as, contra the suggestion in a previous post, the ED78 is not waterproof (as you probably know).

Sean

jackeen said:

Many thanks again

Jackeen
What's the matter with you? Didn't I reccomend the Swarovski st80hd with 20-60x zoom? ;) Kidding aside, that is one of the reasons BF is so good, you can make an educated decision even if you can't test drive every make or model.

Kevin Mac said:
What's the matter with you? Didn't I reccomend the Swarovski st80hd with 20-60x zoom? ;) Kidding aside, that is one of the reasons BF is so good, you can make an educated decision even if you can't test drive every make or model.

Swarovski is a load of old tosh o:) o:) , I'm sure its not but that way I can justify not paying all that dosh for it. B :) B :) .

I now believe all other scopes are inferior !!! ;) ;) ;)

ON A SERIOUS NOTE
If I was to use the new nikon SLR adptor (£299 quid ouch) what would be the FOV with it ?? At 1000 or so focal I would imagine it would be very low and difficult to actually get anything in the lens ????

Dennis

I am new to the site and to bird watching. I don't have a lot of money, but I would like to know if I am wasting my money by buying a Bushnell 20-60x80 for $650 US?

ED78 Case

Now where to get that hard to locate case :C :C ??? Many thanks again Jackeen[/QUOTE said:
Hello

I have the Nikon ED78 vue-thru case. It is available from the U.S. I had mine shipped here from a dealer over there (Check my case thread for photo's etc.) The dealer told me they had an agreement not to sell these cases overseas and therefore asked me not to divulge his name etc.

However another member (Nick-on or something like that?) informed the group that he was to buy one from Binoculars.com.

Did he get it?

Today, 26 Nov, I recieved the following from Binoculars.com (who WILL post overseas) answer to my query sent yesterday 25 Nov re. the Nikon vue-thru case.

=============================================

Hello,

Thank you for visiting Binoculars.com. Yes, we can get it, but it is on backorder with Nikon and will not be available for 3-4 weeks. Thanks again.

Best regards,

Binoculars.com

www.binoculars.com

US & Canada toll free 1-800-246-6285

International Fax: 011-218-728-7955

==========================================

So best give them a try?

Regards

ed78user

Last edited:
ed78user said:
said:
However another member (Nick-on or something like that?) informed the group that he was to buy one from Binoculars.com.

Did he get it?

ed78user

No he didn't!!! :C

Told it would take 7-10 days, e-mailed them two weeks later, no sign, "on back order from Nikon" apparently. Would have them "middle of next week". Two weeks later still no sign..."might be another two weeks".........still on back order from Nikon...weeks later...gave up!

Wouldn't hold out too much hope of getting them from Binoculars.com.

Hope you have better luck than me.

Nick

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back