• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Owl irruption in Minnesota, USA (1 Viewer)

dacol

Just saw this in the Duluth, Minnesota, USA, birding report:

"This is the Duluth Birding Report for
Thursday, November 18, 2004,
sponsored by the Minnesota Ornithologists' Union.

The movement of owls into our area has continued
this week, with over 140 GREAT GRAY OWLS and
over 80 NORTHERN HAWK OWLS seen across
Northeastern Minnesota. There are so many
owls that it is hard to recommend specific
areas, but many birders have seen owls in the
Sax-Zim bog area north of Duluth, especially
along Cty Rd 7 between 319 and 52, and several
observers have seen Great Grays along the
expressway between Duluth and Two Harbors.
On the 14th, Ryan Brady saw a Great Gray at
the pine plantation at Hawk Ridge. Even though
there are too many sightings to mention, and you
may believe your sightings are of "duplicate" owls,
it is still important to report the exact
location and time you saw owls.

Bruce Stahly reported a SNOWY OWL in the
Grand Marais harbor on the 13th. ... "

Dalcio

Last edited:
The Hawk Owls do not surprise me as this seems a good year for them, esp. around here. The # of Great Grays is high---is this a cycle too?

bob parsons said:
The Hawk Owls do not surprise me as this seems a good year for them, esp. around here. The # of Great Grays is high---is this a cycle too?

From what I heard the GG Owls are also subject to fluctuations in their prey numbers somewhat similar to what hapens to Snowy Owls. GG Owls, NH Owls and S. Owls show up in Minnesota every winter (both GGs and NHs also breed in extreme norther Minn. in small numbers) but the numbers for both GG and NH are very high this year.

Dalcio

Northern owls have shown up in central Ontario as well. Up to 18 Great Grey Owls along with a few Northern Hawk Owls have been seen along the north shore of Lake Huron between Sault Ste. Marie and Sudbury. There have also been reports of large numbers along the north shore of Lake Superior. Perhaps a strong northerly or northwesterly flow will bring them into more poulated parts of the East.

probably coming from my neck of the woods, seen very few lately 1 this weekend, usually see at least a half a dozen on #304 (great grey owls).

Lots of Great Grays being seen around the Lake Nippising/ North Bay area. Also increasing numbers being reported along hwy 17 between Madawaska & Ottawa. This looks like a major eruption year, so there's the possibility some BF members in the mid latitude states might just get a good chance at one or both these species this winter.

Hawk Owls on the other hand seem to have stopped around Sudbury, with fewer being recorded east & south of there.

Suspect that when the "real" winter weather hits & replaces our above average temps the birds will resume the movement further South & East in good numbers.

Wow I think it's here! I'm looking out the window at the first major snowfall of the winter. Don't think all this is going to melt.

Will definitely have to make a few trips to Amherst Island this winter to see what the raptor situation is. Might get more than the 18 species I saw there one year (two half winters).

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back