• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

D70 and teleconverters (1 Viewer)

Jlevin

Hi there

I own a D70 and will be getting a 300mm f/4 Nikon AF lens. I would like to know if the third party teleconverters i.e. Quantaray are any good. Do they keep the photograph sharp and still allow autofocus? If those ones don't are there any other good ones that don't require a second mortgage?

thanks
Jake

Jlevin said:
Hi there

I own a D70 and will be getting a 300mm f/4 Nikon AF lens. I would like to know if the third party teleconverters i.e. Quantaray are any good. Do they keep the photograph sharp and still allow autofocus? If those ones don't are there any other good ones that don't require a second mortgage?

thanks
Jake

Hello Jake,

The short answer is no. Some 1.4 teleconvers will allow AF but try them out first. I know some folk who have been happy with the results from 3rd party TC's but I never have been. I have tried various brands, Kenko, Sigma and Tamron, and have never been happy with the results. Loss in sharpness and contrast. Save your pennies and get the ones designed for your lens.

Is it the AFS version of the Nikon 300mm f4? If so you will be able to AF with the TC201e teleconverter, though limited and slower.

Cheers

Craig

What is the best way to attach a Nikon D70 to a Kowa TSN 821 scope?

A friend mentioned Eagle adapters.

I have a Nikon 70-300 ED lens but it does not realy get you close enough to get a really good shot.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back