• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Resizeing (1 Viewer)

cthomas

I just uploaded three images to the gallery. When I resized them so they where no bigger then 200k it makes them to small. The didgiscoped orginal size was 2272x1704 and the none digiscoped size was 1600x1200. I resized them in Photoshop.

How does every body else do it?

Carl

On a full sized image under the Image menu and then Image Size. Set the resolution to 72 for monitor display. I normally then opt for measurements of 800 x 600 Pixels.

An alternative is to crop to whatever size and then set image size as above to no more than 800x800 - the maximum Gallery dimensions.

To reduce the actual kb then use the 'save for web' function off the File Menu. I set the Jpeg compression to maximum and tinker with the quality setting. Sometimes 90 is about right and other times it may be 70 or even 56 for a 128 kbps download just so the file size is below 200 kb. Save a copy under a new name and upload that copy.

Hope this helps. I seldom use PS, so there may be a quicker way that other members use.

Last edited:
For 99% of the time I use a photo cataloguing program called ThumbsPlus. Apart from organising all your photos on the hard drive it has some powerful photo manipulation tools. It takes just a few clicks to do just about anything.

I'm a bit surprised it's not more widely used, though it isn't quite so sophisticated as Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro but then it is intended soley for photogrgaphs.

The only thing I use PS for is CA adjustment, which I seldom have a problem with nowadays.

Hi Ian, all...

I use Irfanview in much the same way as you use Thumbsplus - it's a two or three click job to resize, resample, set the resolution and whatnot.

And Irfanview's free...

Irfanview is a great little program and it's a freebie!

I used it for a few years before swapping to ThumbsPlus. Thanks for the Keith info as by the looks of it the updated version is a good bit more sophisticated that the one I still had on the hard drive. Still not as neat as TP+ but pretty good :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back