• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lots of American Goldfinches this winter (1 Viewer)

HelenB

Opus Editor and Expat from Cumbria
Opus Editor
Hi everyone,
I've been offline for a few weeks, as I needed to have some surgery, but I'm now recuperating well and enjoying watching my backyard (garden) birds. Over the last 4 weeks we have been getting large numbers of American Goldfinches in the area. My husband reckoned on at least a 100 in a flock working over the rough on the edge of the golfcourse behind our house. Lots have been visiting my niger seed feeder, and I snapped the photo below the other day. The goldfinches (Carduelis tristis) have a rather drab winter plummage, but this male is just beginning to get his lovely yellow summer plummage. He will become yellow all over with a black cap and will keep the black wings.
Enjoy...

Attachments

• amgoldfinch.jpg
    amgoldfinch.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 287
Great photo Helen, I've missed your postings. You managed to capture the detail and some lovely bright colours.

If the goldfinches stay around a bit longer, I'll try to get some more photos as they molt into the brighter breeding plumage. Hope they don't leave too soon for more northern areas. Thanks for the compliments on the photo - always have my Olympus C700 with the 10x optical zoom ready by the kitchen window!

Goldfinches are all over the place now. Saw the first fledgeling for this summer. It looked like first day out of the nest, with male parent nearby.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back