• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Portugal (1 Viewer)

Hi you all!

I'm a portuguese I am recent in the exciting bird world.

I am a Computer Science student (AI and Multimedia) and so I don't go out to the country very often (but I'm trying to overcome that intensively o:) )

I'm also like cats :cat: very much and although birders use to hate them so much, I must say that cats are natural in Europe (and I keep them always inside). :)

Cheers,
Daniel Sobral
Portugal

Welcome to this forum Daniel. Where abouts in Portugal are you from? I have been to the Algarve region twice and know many sites around that area but if you are from another part I would dearly love to know what goes on around you.

You will be most warmly welcomed into this forum by everyone. I would suggest that you look through the gallery at some of the superb photos that are in there. Finally if you do go out and do a bit of birding tell us all what you saw in the birding day out forum.

Portugal is a great place to go birding and I am sure that there will be many members interested to see what birds you will encounter on your travels.

:t: :t: :t:

Welcome Daniel,

It's great to have someone from from Portugal on the Forum.

I am sure you will have a great time here.

Please contribute as much as you can. I am sure we will all enjoy hearing the News and Views from your part of the world.

Do you take photographs?

If so, and you can put some on the Forum, I would really enjoy looking at the Birds in your region.

I've never been to Portugal myself, but I once tried to arrange a trip to Faro. Unfortunately, at the time it was too expensive. Maybe one day...

Let me also say how impressed I am with your English - I am ashamed to say I don't know a single word of Portuguese (but what do you expect from a Brit!!!)

Even so, I am very interested in languages, and would love to see some Portuguese names for birds in your posts.

I look forward to hearing from you again.

Hi Daniel, and welcome to BirdForum. We're glad you're here. I've had a life long interest in languages and I really admire the members who are in non-English speaking countries but yet can participate in an English language Forum. I hope you will post often and tell us something about yur country.

Best Regards,
Marysan

Bon Dia Daniel. Chamo me Paul. Thats the extent of my Portugese!!! Like most people on this group Portugal is on my most-want-to-visit list. You must get some great birds there. Bonelli's Eagle, Spanish(Iberique) Eagle, and some great Sea Ducks. I see you are new to the hobby, could you tell us of some of the birds you have allready seen? Looking forward to your posts, hope you find the time.

Daniel

It is a pleasure to have a representative from Portugal on the forum. We look forward to hearing about your activities.

Start planning: we are bound to have a Portugese trip one day. You can show us round!

Best wishes.

Peter

Hi Daniel, Welcome, look forward to your postings.
Very glad to hear that your cats are indoor cats. If only everyone did that, the world would be a better place!

Welcome Daniel. I have never been to Portugal but certainly plan to sometime soon. You have some great birds out there so if you take photo's, you will have to post them here.

Cheers:cat: :t:

Hello, Daniel, and welcome to the group. I look forward with great interest to reading about the birds of Portugal.
Zil

Hi Daniel,

Welcome to Bird Forum :t:

I hope that you enjoy the site and will see your way to sharing your Portugese birding experiences.

See you around.

Hi Daniel,
Welcome, I love Portugal, I have been to the Algarve and like Lagos, but prefer Estoril, Caiscais, and Sintra. Spent our anniversary in Lisbon last June and managed to get to Caiscais twice on your excellent railway system. My favourite is your Island of Madeira where we try to spend four weeks of the year the fauna and flora is magnificent and truly deserves its title of the Garden of the Atlantic, I have seen a few Buzzards, Kestrels, but the thing that gets me is to see loads of canaries flying wild. Brilliant, happy birding, let us all know what you see.

Thanks for all your warm welcoming messages!
I'll try my best to keep you informed about what's happening here in Portugal.

JohnJ: I don't seem to be able to see the photos in the gallery. It is always saying I'm not registered :( .

I'm not yet taking photos, though I'm currently flirting Digiscoping sets: Nikon and Leica are my current favourites. I'll discuss this on other forums. For now, you can see one Portuguese Digiscoper I know: http://www.geocities.com/jviana_98/ (in Portuguese)

Because of all the Languages (and even all the common names in the same language) I personally prefer to refer to bird species by their Latin names, although I can also mention their portuguese names, if you prefer ;)

I'm from the Lisbon area. Currently I've visited more often the Setúbal region. In Lisbon and Setúbal there mainly two big regions - the Sado and the Tagus river, where many aquatic birds happily display themselves to the birder. Although I like all birds, my current favourites are the passerines (Sylvia-like warblers). I have visited the Arrabida region (near Setubal) and Aljezur region (west Algarve). Now I intend to visit Cascais and Sintra. I'll try to send news.

This forum really is no 1!

Obrigado
:)

Peter

If ever an Algarve meet is arranged I am your man. I have covered virtually every site that is worth mentioning from the Spanish border taking in the reserve near Castro Marim right through to the most South Westerly tip of Europe at Cabo de Sao Vicente and up to the north and also into the Beju region. Given the right time, and May would be brilliant, I could show you things that would take your breath away. It is a fabulous place to bird but to get the most out of it, it would have to be a total birding holiday as there is so much ground to cover.

Daniel

You have caught me out regarding having to register for the gallery. can any one else help Daniel out on how to get into there?

I have never been to the Lisbon area but I have longed to go there for some time as I am aware just what is on offer. It looks an outstanding area to bird.

If you want to stretch you wings (so to speak) I can give you places you could go to that would guarantee you some fabulous birds. One area (which I would think is about 100 miles south east of Lisbon) is the Castro Verde area. It is a fabulous area and is host to a great many birds. On my last visit there (which was on the 4th of May 1999) my list of species was as follows:

Azure-winged Magpie
Black Kite
Black-eared Wheatear
Calandra Lark
Common Buzzard
Common Kingfisher
European Bee-eater
Great Bustard
Great Grey Shrike
Great Reed Warbler
Hoopoe
Lesser Kestrel
Little Bustard
Magpie
Montagu's Harrier
Nightingale
Peregrine Falcon
Red-legged Partridge
Red-rumped Swallow
Roller
Short-toed Eagle
Short-toed Lark
Spanish Sparrow
Spotless Starling
Stonechat
Thekla Lark
White Stork

As you can see it is an area well worth visiting, especially in early May.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back