• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Snake in the bathroom, but which one. (1 Viewer)

Reader

We came across this snake in the bathroom of one of the properties we use in Spain. Thankfully we had a very large bamboo cane that I could use to coaxe it out of the bathroom and onto the surrounding hillside.

There was a shopping bag that I had to move to get to it once it was on the floor and as I moved it the snake struck out and sank its fangs into it. I certainly kept my distance after that.

Any ideas what snake it is?

Attachments

• Snake 9300.jpg
    Snake 9300.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 260
  • Snake 9306.jpg
    Snake 9306.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 318
  • Snake 9307.jpg
    Snake 9307.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 254
Hi Reader
I would hazard a guess at Viperine Snake, although i have never seen one myself and I am far from being an expert. Hopefully someone will either confirm this or just blow me away. Great find though.

Jules Sykes said:
Hi Reader
I would hazard a guess at Viperine Snake, although i have never seen one myself and I am far from being an expert. Hopefully someone will either confirm this or just blow me away. Great find though.

Great find!! It frightened the life outta me. lol

I need to know which one it is, also if it is poisonous as the owner of the property wants to know.

Thanks for the ID. Seen Balkan Whip Snake (Hierophis gemonensis) in Greece and they move really fast. Very impressive.

There are some excellent pics of European snakes here.

Last edited:
Beany said:
It's a Horseshoe whip snake, Hemorrhois (previously Coluber) hippocrepis. They're not venomous.

Thanks for the ID and thanks for letting me know thatit isn't venomous. The owner of the property will be relieved.

Hi Reader, your friendley house snake is a Viperine, "Natrix-maura" a harmless back fanged snakes.

Beany said:
It's a Horseshoe whip snake, Hemorrhois (previously Coluber) hippocrepis. They're not venomous.

Hi Beany

I sent the photo to an expert and he has confirmed your ID so thanks once again for confirming it.

I hadn't noticed that it was your first posting. Welcome to the Birdforum and thanks for choosing this thread as your opening post.

Why don't you say hello and introduce yourself in the Hello forum. I hope you enjoy your time in the forum and I look forward to seeing more posts from you.

Reader said:
I hadn't noticed that it was your first posting. Welcome to the Birdforum and thanks for choosing this thread as your opening post.

Why don't you say hello and introduce yourself in the Hello forum. I hope you enjoy your time in the forum and I look forward to seeing more posts from you.

Thanks for the welcome, I shall introduce myself as you suggested.

Bushbaby said:
Nice snake. Glad you managed to catch it and not kill it.

I would never kill anything intentionally, except a few mosquitos that is, lol. Life is too precious to squander casually.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back