• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hundreds of Hawk Owls! (1 Viewer)

orniodesigns

We have now huge numbers of migrating Hawk Owls. During last 7 days 530 observations have been saved to Finnish bird observation database. Some of the observations of course are from same individuals. Inside my local patch has been already 10 individuals!

hawk owls

We have now huge numbers of migrating Hawk Owls. During last 7 days 530 observations have been saved to Finnish bird observation database. Some of the observations of course are from same individuals. Inside my local patch has been already 10 individuals!

Hello I am very interested in coming to Finland for a short break with the aim of photographing hawk owl can you give any advice of best area to visit please.

If I look a map of observations from last 7 days from our database it looks like that: south or east Finland would be best direction, but empty spaces in south probably are not really empty (there is no birders there, or observations are not published). There is still hundreds of Hawk Owls. Areas around Lahti and Kouvola seem to have lots of these Owls.

This news is still most amazing: One of the Hawk Owls was found swimming in the middle of lake. http://www.iltasanomat.fi/kotimaa/art-1288617652322.html

Those maps are awesome! looks like one Hawk Owl in my cousins garden or near enough!! Bring it on - ok so I accept it may well have moved by June.

Somebody wanting to connect could hit Ryanair to Tampere, one days car hire and then back the next day...

From last 7 days there is more than 700 observations of Hawk Owls in Finland. In my birding area (south eastern border) several birders have found 5 Hawk Owls in a day, even if they havent found groups of them. Best places have had 3 individuals visible from one spot! Eastern border has had 75 individuals in 7 days.

Just booked some flights into and out of Helsinki for the weekend of 7/8 December with a couple of friends. My only target is Hawk Owl. I fancy a short trip a bit more than twitching the Dutch bird (and had been thinking about it before news of that bird broke). Any recommendations gratefully received.

There may be other species for my friends as well so any gen on other specialities also welcome.

All the best

So bloody lucky, wish I few would hit the East coast. I also know you can witness a similar sighting of LE Owls in a town sqaure some were in Serbia, not exactly sure of the location though.

Finding Hawk Owls shoul be more than possible. Go out of city and look for large fields or clearcuts. Scan tree tops around fields. One birder drove 15 km in South Karelia and saw 5 Owls! East or North east from Helsinki should be good. Best areas seem to be just south from Lahti-Kouvola line.

Finding Hawk Owls shoul be more than possible. Go out of city and look for large fields or clearcuts. Scan tree tops around fields. One birder drove 15 km in South Karelia and saw 5 Owls! East or North east from Helsinki should be good. Best areas seem to be just south from Lahti-Kouvola line.

Orniodesigns and others

Many thanks for your assistance.

Very kindly, a Helsinki birder met us at the Sibelius Park site early on Saturday morning. (We had arrived at Helsinki airport at dusk the night before.) Before he arrived, we had already found that bird. It showed quite well for a while. We then went on an unsuccessful search for Tengmalm's Owl at Mustikkamaan before too late in the day heading out north of Livoso for the last hour or so of daylight to have a crack at finding our own Hawk Owl.

On Sunday, we spent the morning around Emsalo where we were staying before heading towards Askola. With maybe an hour and a half left before we needed to head back to Helsinki airport we found a Hawk Owl holding territory near Kirjamusantie.

I'll try and find time to do a short trip report and sort out some photos.

All the best

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back