• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk, UK.Student seeks help with research (1 Viewer)

psycokat

Hello!

My name is Katherine Roper and I am in my third year of a Development Studies degree at the University of East Anglia, England. I am currently researching Conservation Tourism (focussing on bird watchers) in Norfolk for my dissertation.

I would be very grateful if you could spare the time to help me with my research. I have prepared a brief questionnaire (see below) that is aimed at people who have visited Norfolk as a tourist, at least once in the last +5 years. If you do complete this could you please a reply as a private message so that I don’t clog up the board. Thank You!!!

I have added my objectives at the end of this message to show more specifically what I am researching. If you have any comments, please do share them with me.

Many thanks for your time and patience, I truly appreciate it.

Katherine Roper

Questionnaire:

1. What is your registered address? Please give the postcode, or town if preferred

2. What was the length of your stay? Please delete what does not apply.
□ Local resident □ Day trip
□ Overnight – How many nights? ___________
What type of accommodation? _____________________

3. What would you say was the purpose for visiting Norfolk? (1 being the most important reason)
_____ Walking
_____ Cycling
_____ Bird Watching
_____ Dog walking
_____ Scenery
_____ Other (Please specify) _________________

4. Did you visit any of the following reserves while you were there? Please delete what does not apply
RSPB Nature Reserves:
Snettisham
Titchwell Marsh
Mid-Yare Valley ( includes Strumpshaw Fen and Buckenham)

Norfolk Wildlife Trust:
Cley Marshes (including Blakeney Point)
Foxley Wood
Weeting Heath
Ranworth Broad
Hickling Broad

Any others? Please specify: ___________________________________

5. Was your visit/s pre-planned? (Please delete as appropriate)
□ Yes □ No

6. On average, how often do you visit a natural area in the months between:

May – August ________________ day/s

September – April ________________ day/s

7. How much time would you be willing to spend travelling (one way) to see a rare bird? (e.g. Marsh Harrier)
_____.____Hour/s

8. Would you be willing to pay an entrance fee to a reserve, if, for example, it was to go towards funding a project directly related to the benefit of the reserve? E.g. A breeding program
Please delete as appropriate

□ No
□ Voluntary Donation
□ Yes

If yes what would be the maximum?
£_______.________p

9. Do you feel that you got good value for money from the sites that charged an entrance fee? Please delete as appropriate
□ Yes □ No □ No Opinion

10. Are you a member of any conservation organisations? EG, RSPB
If yes, a) which one/s _________________________________
b) What type of membership is it? Family ____________________
c) How long have you held this membership? ____________________

11. What are your feelings in regard to public access to sensitive natural areas? Please delete as appropriate
Should it be:
□ No Access
□ Zoned Access
□ Seasonal
□ Unrestricted

12. Did you stop in any of the following in the local village/s? Please delete those that do NOT apply
□ Convenience store
□ Public house
□ Restaurant
□ Tea shop
□ Gift shop
□ Information Centre
□ Other. Please specify ________________________________

If yes, approximately how much was spent in total? Please delete amounts that do NOT apply
□ - £5 □ £10 □ £15 □ £20 □ £20 +

13. How do you feel about government spending in relation to conservation of areas such as this?

14. Are you aware of any policies that are in force to help conserve natural areas? E.g. RAMSAR/SSSI sites

15. Are there any initiatives that you feel should be enforced? E.g. allow dogs on leads/well trained.

Thank you very much for your time !!!

Objectives:

• To what degree is bird watching active in Norfolk.
Does this change during the off-peak tourist season (September to April)?

• To determine the relative economic importance of birdwatchers’ to the local communities.
Does their spending become more important at different times in the year?

• To determine the contribution that bird watchers may make to local conservation. For example, Paying entrance fees/donations, Membership revenue, Public awareness of endangered species, Public involvement in conservation activities, Data collection, etc
• What role does conservation play in relation to tourism?
For example, ensuring the continuation of the essential ‘draw’ of the area, Keep all types of visitors coming back,
Affect of Management techniques/policy –general opinions of tourists vs locals.

• Does local policy support conservation/tourism interaction?
Is it actively encourage/discouraged?
Is the potential of tourism in off-peak seasons exploited? Is this potential recognised?

Can I suggest that everyone who cares about birding helps this student's research. If we can demonstrate how important the birding £ is in the area it will only help preserve it and encourage other areas to jump on the same bandwagon! John

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back