• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eberhard Jany (1 Viewer)

vinividivici

Hello everyone,

Although I realize that most posts here deal with persons honoured in eponyms, I consider it nonetheless as the best spot for my query.

Does anyone have information regarding Eberhard Jany? He named and described 15 subspecies from Indonesia, all in 1955, in two articles in Journal für Ornithologie.

I would like to know his birth date and place, nationality (his name offers few clues, but it doesn't sound Indonesian nor Dutch), and anything else.

Greetings

For what it is worth, the appropriate entry in Wynne 1969, reads, "J. E. Jany (1917- x) Caprimulgus 1955. Java 1954-55. W. Berlin. Ibis 1967: ix."

... Does anyone have information regarding Eberhard Jany? He named and described 15 subspecies from Indonesia, all in 1955, in two articles in Journal für Ornithologie.

I would like to know his birth date and place, nationality (his name offers few clues, but it doesn't sound Indonesian nor Dutch), and anything else.
Maybe a bit late (only two and a half years ;)) for this reply, but (since you haven´t "closed" it, and better late than never) I think you´re looking for the German (of Lithuanian Heritage) biologist, zoologist, mammalogist, ornithologist and collector J. Eberhard Jany (1917--fl.1977*), at some point Curator of the Museum Zoologicum Bogoriense, in Bogor (Java, Indonesia), who participated in two German expeditions to Sahara, Africa in 1955 and in 1961 … the J. could be short for Joachim, but if it is, was, for sure, I cannot tell. I guess you need better knowledge of German than I have.

*Latest found publication (here), then (like Justin noted) living in Sulzbach (Taunus), in, at that time, West Germany, where he (if I´got it right) at that point had lived for at least ten years. Also see the following links; here, here, here, here, here and here.

His father was the Prussian Officer (peaked at Major general) Curt Jany (1867–1945), here, better known as Military Historian, born in Memel, Ostpreußen, (today's Klaipėda, Lithuania), died in Berlin … it looks like Eberhard was somehow involved (either as editor or as copyright owner?) in various editions of his Father's books.

Hopefully this can help you find the missing details of Eberhard Jany?

That´s all I could find. If of any use?

Björn

He was member since 1935 of the DO-G and mentioned in the 100. Jahresversammlung Verlag der Deutschen Ornithologen-Gesellschaft (100 year meeting of DO-G). Here is witten (same as Justin already mentioned)

1935 Jany, Eberhard, Zoologe; 6231 Sulzbach/Taunus, Hohemarkweg 2

But this member list is from 1988 so he may have still lived on this date (or is still alive and only 99 years old. Nothing if you read The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared or original Hundraåringen som klev ut genom fönstret och försvann ;)) .

P.S. I agree Joachim is most likely as in Proceedings of the XIV International Ornithological Congress, Oxford, 24-30 July, 1966 he is as well mentioned as Jany, Joachim Eberhard. And in IBIS Vol 104 p. XVII as:

Jany, Joachim Eberhard; 1 Berlin 45, Potsdamer Str. 10, West Berlin, Germany.

Last edited:
He was Born on 6.4.1917 in Stettin and died September 1990. german nationality.

I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back