• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI: Gurney's Pitta still at Khao Nor Chuchi? (1 Viewer)

temmie

The title says it all:
I was thinking of going to Khao Nor Chuchi. I have reasonable (ant)pitta experience, so I am not afraid of searching days and nights. But can anyone give me an update about any sightings in the last few months?

Thanks a lot!

Further info: I will be birding 1-17th of January in Thailand, and was thinking of visiting some sites in the north: Dong Chiang Dao, Doi Inthanon, Khao Yai and Pak Thale / Laem Pak Bia.

Unless, that is, there is still a reasonable chance for Gurney's Pitta near Krabi, then I am willing to give up on e.g. Khao Yai and some other site...

Gurneys Pitta

Hi Temmie

I guess the lack of responses to your post says a lot. January was never a good time to try and see Gurneys at KNC, but it seems like the situation there is depressing, few birds left and probably on the verge of being lost from the site.
The site probably still supports a good range of other species but in low densities, you may be better trying somewhere like Krung Ching if you want to see some Southern Thai specialities.

Neil

Www.norfolkbirderinthailand.blogspot.com

Thanks Neil,

from my own research, I concluded that there will still be some hanging around, but probably very hard to see. I have some back-up plan (that is, wait until some fellow birders visit the site in 1-2 weeks and see if they have anything).
It also seems that some birders still see them without reporting, so I have still some hope ;-)

Try emailing again, it does take some time for him to reply. Regarding records, reliably seen July 2013, adult female.

Ask Yotin for a specific guiding day and he Will reply within some weeks. He guided me in february 2013. No gurney pitta at all at that time in 2013. Later a female was found and it mate with a Banded pitta. The situation is not good sadly.

I know some birders (personally met them in Thailand) who have asked Yothin's services for some night birding. He agreed but he simply didn't show up. So no, thanks, as it also seems his 'magic' doesn't work anymore with so few pitta's present thus not much territorial behavior from the even fewer males…

We saw a female Gurney's in early April 2013 with the help of Yotin. I think, without Yotin, it is nearly hopeless to find Gurney's during non-breeding season.

yes, but then again, april is exactly that: breeding season…
Nobody seemed to have sightings after July 2013, at least, from personal communication + the internet (by no means my sources are exhaustive ;-) ).

yes, but then again, april is exactly that: breeding season…
Nobody seemed to have sightings after July 2013, at least, from personal communication + the internet (by no means my sources are exhaustive ;-) ).

What was the result of your trip... Did you get it????

In the end, I didn't go. Friend of mine were there for 3 days without any contact with the bird. Same for several other birdwatchers (and guides). So I haven't found someone who saw it this year, yet...

A birder I met in Thailand told me a second-hand story about a local guide at Khao Nor Chuchi importing (or wanting to import?) Gurney's Pittas from Myanmar to repopulate the reserve. Take that rumor with a grain of salt, of course. Has anyone else heard about this? It would impact the countability of the birds if true.

I was the one who saw the female in July 2013. I was there with Yotin. He told me that the female of his favourite pair in the U-trail area was captured in december 2012 for a captive breeding program. In that captive breeding program there were three males and no females. The male wandered around n the reserve and was even seen in the B- and C-trail area and finally paired with one of his daughters. A facebook message by Yotin on 20th July said these pair had returned to the U-trail area.
He was a little bit unclear who was conducting the captive breeding program, but he said the author of this article had something to do about it: http://www.bangkokpost.com/lifestyle/family/351259/goodbye-gurney-pitta (the article is now behind a registration wall). Yotin called the person "The Researcher".
I don't think Yotin is the guide mentioned in Ben88's. There is a lot of competition in Thailand between guides and this kind of rumours could very well be the product of that. Keep in mind that southern Myanmar is still difficult to reach, though this year Birdquest is probably doing an extension to that area in March 2014.

Last edited:
Another option for future visitors to the area worth a mention...

It seems a sad end to Gurney's Pitta in Thailand. Captive breeding has been mooted for many years if/when the population reached critical levels, reading the info releases over time, has it not?

I decided (for better or worse) not to visit KNC recently whilst staying on Phuket, instead went to Sri Phang Nga (to the north west but contiguous with Khao Sok), so a bit closer to the coast than Krung Ching, and near to the Similans launch too. Obviously the site doesn't boast the extensive list of Krung Ching (that was fully booked), but Malayan Banded Pitta was straightforward enough even for non breeding period, also a superb pair of Oriental Bay Owl - both sp. giving amazing views.

A few downsides,

- there are few trails and mostly difficult access (steep and/or river crossings);
- you are not supposed to leave the main camp/accomm area after dark
- the restaurant closes at 4pm - bonkers;
- park accommodation is ok, but no other close alternatives;

It was very quiet during our stay (in complete contrast to other sites visited!), only one other couple present, and maybe a few day trippers going for the main waterfall.

Cheers,

Last edited:
Yes GDK Sri Phang Nga is a great national park. Stayed there 3 days a year ago. 3 species of hornbills, bat hawks, dusky broadbill, Siberian blue robin, banded pitta and Rufous collard kingfisher plus lots of other. No people and good views from the trails. No Gurney there though, but hooded and blue winged should be possible in the summer.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back